Trial period of synth plug-in expired, now Cubase crashes when I try to open song.

aaron aardvark

Trial period of synth plug-in expired, now Cubase crashes when opening: SOLVED!

Air Hybrid 3 (synth plug-in) trial period expired, now Cubase AI8 crashes (with Mac OSX 10.9.5) on song with Hybrid 3 muted. When I had Cubase LE4 and Mac OSX10.6.8, and a trial version of Melodyne expired, I learned that if I renamed the (Library>Audio>Plug-ins>) VST folder to something else temporarily, I could remove Melodyne from the Cubase song, and the song would open again. I tried to do that trick with the new Hybrid 3 song and I couldn't rename the VST folder. Now I can't open the song without Cubase crashing. What is the solution please? (Edit: Also please read my third post)

Last edited:
jimmys69,
Thank you for the speedy reply. I will try this out and see what happens.

:) Let me know if that works.

Hopefully you don't need to reinstall Cubase to make it work. Not a big deal either but it is odd that things got weird for you.

I open Cubase projects from others that have nothing even close to the VST/VSTi's I use. Never had an issue myself. 'knocking on wood'....

Sorry I can't help more.

jimmys69 and others,
OK, here is what happened. I tried to follow the directions to your link. I tried <Cmd> + <Shift> + <Alt>, and nothing happened (I appreciate your attempt to help me though). When I clicked on the virtual button to zoom in on the instruction image, I noticed it says "Cubase 7". I have Cubase AI8, so maybe that part was changed. I went to Preferences through Cubase from the pull downs & clicked on a thing that was supposed to treat muted parts like deleted parts, but that did not help either. I couldn't find anything like "Disable program preferences" either. Here is what happens when I try to open the song: I get a notification from Air (the company that makes the Hybrid 3 synth plug-in) saying my trial period of Hybrid 3 has expired. Then it gives me 2 virtual button options: one is click on "Quit", which makes Cubase crash, and the other is "Activate", which you can't completely follow through on until you buy the Hybrid 3 software. I feel like my song is being held hostage until I pay them money.

jimmys69 and others,
OK, here is what happened. I tried to follow the directions to your link. I tried <Cmd> + <Shift> + <Alt>, and nothing happened (I appreciate your attempt to help me though). When I clicked on the virtual button to zoom in on the instruction image, I noticed it says "Cubase 7". I have Cubase AI8, so maybe that part was changed. I went to Preferences through Cubase from the pull downs & clicked on a thing that was supposed to treat muted parts like deleted parts, but that did not help either. I couldn't find anything like "Disable program preferences" either. Here is what happens when I try to open the song: I get a notification from Air (the company that makes the Hybrid 3 synth plug-in) saying my trial period of Hybrid 3 has expired. Then it gives me 2 virtual button options: one is click on "Quit", which makes Cubase crash, and the other is "Activate", which you can't completely follow through on until you buy the Hybrid 3 software. I feel like my song is being held hostage until I pay them money.

Maybe Safe Start Mode is only available to those with full Cubase 8 license. :( You can delete them manually. I am a Windows 7 guy so can't tell you where the folder is. In Windows you would only need to find the folder for Cubase and delete the 'User Settings Data Folder'. Hope OSX is as easy.

Then the next step I would try is removing 'AIR' from your computer. You may need to delete the dll. file from your VSTPlugins folder and any applications that are associated with that. Again, MAC may be different in this regard.

Wish I could help more.

Is there a way to completely remove the synth plug in?
Unless it has somehow altered cuebase, it would seem wiping out all trace of the plug would restore you to what you had before.

OR, if you like the plug, buying it might make all right as rain again?

Hypersonic did this on my PC system when I loaded old songs - my cure was simply to remove it, cubase cannot find it, so asks a few questions, but then fires up with the vst missing. I then load a different synth, find something similar, and select it to the old hypersonic track. Then I remove all mentions of hypersonic - the tracks and make sure it's deselected in the vet manager screen. Then save the song with a new name. Loading it back is then fine. You need to search for the vst in all sorts of other places - I found four instances of hypersonic hiding in old plugin directories I'd forgotten about, but were referenced in the start up sequence. I've never had it on my mac, as this computer is plugin light, but loading broken or outdated vsts always annoys Cubase!

jimmys69 & RFR,
Yes, earlier I deleted any trace of Hybrid 3 that I could find, though I did not see any uninstall to use. I used EasyFind also, and there seems to be none of it left in my iMac (though EasyFind doesn't always find everything). I emptied the trash. I think Hybrid 3 has some good sounds, but I did not like it enough to buy it. And I don't like the idea of being forced to buy it. Thank you for replying.

rob aylestone,
I was able to open an older song in Cubase AI8 OK, didn't see any trace of Air Hybrid 3 in the Device Manager, or whatever shows all of the plug-ins. But I still can't open the song that had the Air Hybrid 3 in it. Thank you for replying.

So it seems there are remnants of the plug 'hiding' on your system.

It may take some time and searching, but get that nasty 'virus' off your system!

Good luck.

drtechno (& others),
You are probably correct. I was able to get the problem solved. OK, I was finally able to delete Hybrid 3 from my computer, and now my song opens up again. Without EasyFind and having the Macintosh HD folder visible on Finder (earlier it was not) I might have never figured it out. It makes no sense to me that you can find certain plug-ins in Macintosh HD when you go to Library>Audio>Plug-ins>VST, as opposed to (user)>Library>Audio>Plug-ins>VST. Thank you!

Back