There is a real advantage and buy a i7 5960X over the i7 4790K ?

Edde

Hello Everyone.

I think of buying a new cubase. 8.5 and want to build a computer just for this. Someone would know me know what is most important in the hardware to have benefits from using cubase? My computer I currently have is a i7 4790K (4 Ghz 4 cores) with 16 gigas of Kingston DDR 1600 RAM.
There is a real advantage and buy a i7 5960X (3Ghz 8 cores). Cubase works in multi core? They have already done tests to see if there are real gains? OR if it is a small margin of advantage?
I think the i7 5960X super expensive and I saw tests ( except video editing) it is not fast than the i7 4790K.

Thank you so much

The 4790K is already a very capable processor, although it does run a little hot and requires a little better than standard cooling. This could be a problem in a quiet studio environment unless you find a good quiet cooler.

Unless you're running enormous projects with tons and tons of tracks and VSTi and running other programs at the same time, I don't think that an 8-core processor would be necessary. The 4-core i7 with 8 logical processors hasn't let me down yet. It sounds like your existing machine will be more than capable of getting the job done.

I don't know how well Cubase takes advantage of multiple cores. You can just start up a project, start playing audio through it, and look at Task Manager to see if Cubase is spreading the load across all cores evenly, or if it's just hogging 1 core.

The 4790K is already a very capable processor, although it does run a little hot and requires a little better than standard cooling. This could be a problem in a quiet studio environment unless you find a good quiet cooler.

Unless you're running enormous projects with tons and tons of tracks and VSTi and running other programs at the same time, I don't think that an 8-core processor would be necessary. The 4-core i7 with 8 logical processors hasn't let me down yet. It sounds like your existing machine will be more than capable of getting the job done.

I don't know how well Cubase takes advantage of multiple cores. You can just start up a project, start playing audio through it, and look at Task Manager to see if Cubase is spreading the load across all cores evenly, or if it's just hogging 1 core.

+1 to the crappy cooler included with the 4790K.

I had issues with overheating that took me by surprise. THIS solved the issue and is very quiet. Well, quiet enough for me.

Only around $30 for the cooler but make sure you have enough width to your case to install.

Not sure if 8 cores will help with Cubase. Not the guy to ask there.

Hello Everyone.

I think of buying a new cubase. 8.5 and want to build a computer just for this. Someone would know me know what is most important in the hardware to have benefits from using cubase? My computer I currently have is a i7 4790K (4 Ghz 4 cores) with 16 gigas of Kingston DDR 1600 RAM.
There is a real advantage and buy a i7 5960X (3Ghz 8 cores). Cubase works in multi core? They have already done tests to see if there are real gains? OR if it is a small margin of advantage?
I think the i7 5960X super expensive and I saw tests ( except video editing) it is not fast than the i7 4790K.

Thank you so much

You don't need much computing power to record audio. Don't sweat the difference between any processor. Get what you can afford and be good with it. It won't make a difference with Cubase unless you buy a Pentium 3.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it depends.

If you are just recording stuff with the normal plugins you are going to be (more than) fine.

If you are heavy into the virtual instruments thing IMO it's worth the extra cores.

Thank you for all replies.
I bought the i7 4790K and it is very good. About heating. What cooler do you suggest for it?
16 Gigas is enought for Cubase or I must use 32Gigas? Well... I will use lot of VSTs for make pop music.

Best Regards,

Edde

This is the cooler I installed below. It cut the operating temperature almost in half. It's around $30. Make sure your case is wide enough for it. I would download Core Temp and see if you are having issues first. You don't want to be anywhere around 90 degrees Celsius. The link to the safe/direct download link is highlighted there in my post. Just click on that.

Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

16GB is usually enough but the more the merrier. Especially for VSTi's.

Last edited:
Superior Drummer can load into 2gigs on it's own.

I've had kontakt take up almost a full gig of RAM as well.

And yeah what Jimmy said, Ram is cheap. If I was building a new computer I think I would do 16 minimum these days just because.

Correction, TMF with all mics and bleed on occupys almost 3gigs of RAM.

Not that it's necessary to run them all though.

Back