Tearing my hair out (Cubase AI4)

Docholiday

Hi all,

I have spent 6 hours now trying to sort out playback problems with cubase AI4 and I have lost hope. I'll explain:

Girlfriend downloads MP3 backing tracks, imports them to an audio track in cubase and records herself singing over them.
I originally had it set up so that it recorded from the Yamaha Audiogram 6 and monitoring and playback was through the laptop speakers. That worked out fine but then I got a virus on my laptop (Dell Latitude D600 1600mhz 1gb RAM, windows XP sp2 pretty basic stuff but worked ok) and had to wipe the C:/ drive. Reinstalled Cubase and now having serious issues.

Started out with bad latency and distortion, especially when monitoring. Installed ASIO4all, changed the buffering etc no joy. Then changed the output to the Audiogram instead of laptop and monitoring latency issue went away but new problem came up. Now when I play back anything out of cubase I get this horrible distortion in the speakers. It's not jumping or skipping just distorted. It's not the speakers because media player etc play back fine. Have tried adjusting the buffering settings in ASIO4all made no difference whatsoever, tried downloading the latest drivers for the audiogram and latest patch for cubase. No joy, if anything it's got worse. CPU usage is at 40%, i know that's high enough but it was the same before and worked ok so it's not that. I can't pinpoint the problem and it's driving me crazy. Anyone have any suggestions?

PS I really haven't much knowledge of this type of software so I would appreciate very simple explanations please. Thank you!!

First forget about Asio4all. The asio drivers of you audio interface are much better.

Second if you use your labtop speakers you are probably not using the audio interface.

It sounds like somewhere the volume is to high and the sound is clipping.

Check on the audiogram is the sound is clipping, or if you see any signal going through it.

Check in Cubase if something is clipping. Especially the outgoing bus.

Another option is that you have everything set-up wrong.

Please provide details of your connections and your set-up in Cubase under Devicesetup.

Cheers

Wim

Wim,

Thanks for the reply. It's definitely not a volume issue have checked that. Also, I was using the laptop speakers but not anymore I am now using the interface. When I was using the laptop speakers I was having horrible latency issues when monitoring but I've resolved that by using the interface. But the distorted playback is still very bad. I think that my setup is wrong because as I said I'm pretty new to all of this, just a bit baffled because no matter what I have tried it doesn't change. Any combination of buffering etc. still gives me the same thing.

Can you explain to me what exactly you mean by my connections and setup? What is the information you are looking for? Also, can you tell me how I can change ASIO4all to the interface drivers?

Thanks for your help.

Yup, what wim said. Just use the interface with its own Asio driver. Don't use ASIO4All. A screenshot might help. (be sure to save it as a jpg) Read the manual to be sure you've got it all set up properly.

Also, can you tell me how I can change ASIO4all to the interface drivers?
Did you load the asio drivers for the yamaha?? If so, they should show up in the control panel for Cubase.

What I mean is that you tell us in detail how you connected the cables and a screenshot of Devices/Device setup would help us to see what might be wrong.

Cheers

Wim

Sorry for the late reply. Downloaded the latest Audiogram Drivers and except for a couple of minor glitches during playback it works perfectly now. Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.

Back