The stupidity of 3rd party plugins.

Guitargodgt

Yeah this isn't a question just a short rant on my irritation.

So I recently upgraded to a windows 10 pro machine from almost a decade on OSX (started on SL3 on OSX 10.5)

This means re-installing almost everything I own which is not a problem (although I did quickly realize how unorganized I am with software)

However what makes me absolutely rage is how 3rd party plugins install themselves. On OSX there is pretty much only 3 places you will find plugins and it's easy enough to just shuffle that around.

On PC? So far I'm up to 5 and still have some missing. It seems the default for most companies is to create thier own special folder under program files.

WHICH IS DUMB.

That is all. :laughings:

OOOOh yeah one more thing, upgrades. Upgrades make me rage. I don't mind free ones but upgraded melodyne and now they need an ilok 2. I don't have one, I have 2 original iloks but not a 2. So yay $50 on a free upgrade.

TL/DR switching operating systems is a pain in the ass.

I hate that every program wants to put plugs where ever they want. I consolidate them all into one folder; C:/VSTPlugins. Then I delete all the others. Still, somehow, I end up with plugs all over my hard drive. They're a slimy mess.

I don't deal with iLock stuff. Whew.

I hate that every program wants to put plugs where ever they want. I consolidate them all into one folder; C:/VSTPlugins. Then I delete all the others. Still, somehow, I end up with plugs all over my hard drive. They're a slimy mess.

I don't deal with iLock stuff. Whew.

^^^^

Ditto. The advantage (or disadvantage depending on your viewpoint) is that you can create your own folder structure. I'm contrary enough to dislike the way Macs try to think for me.

^^^^

Ditto. The advantage (or disadvantage depending on your viewpoint) is that you can create your own folder structure. I'm contrary enough to dislike the way Macs try to think for me.

True...but many plugins don't give you the option..they just install wherever the developer thought its a good idea. Get 10 plugins that do that and you end up with a mess.

Usually all the plugin people are using some type of Win Install software, and I can't remember an install where it didn't give me an option. Usually they install the engine in their own folder, usually under programs, but the VST part it seems I have always had the option, if I select to change it. Often I have just clicked through and had to fix it later, but I can't remember a plug that hasn't given me that option.

True...but many plugins don't give you the option..they just install wherever the developer thought its a good idea. Get 10 plugins that do that and you end up with a mess.

Like DM60, I don't recall an installation where I've not been offered the opportunity to "Browse" and select (or even create) my own folder. Yes, the software always suggests their standard folder name/location but there's always (at least in my experience) a "Browse" button to the right of the filed with their suggested location.

Even if you have a bunch of folders, nothing is stopping you from moving the plugins after installation. You'll have to get your DAW to scan the new location but this is normally a pretty standard option.

install this and never loose anything again ....

really ... :yes

https://www.voidtools.com/

its tiny,fast as hell (soon as its made its database) ...

for "another crappy 64bit chorus vst"

type part the name

crap 64 chor .dll

tada! instantly there it is :D

I don't think I have ever had a plugin that installed without asking me or at least telling me where it was going to be installed. A post it and a pen are your friend in those instances. Write it down, find it, move it and have Cubase scan the folder.

The reason I say more than 6 places is due to both 64 bit plugs and 32 bit plugs. 99% of the plugins I'm installing are 64 bit VST3 and that's good but some did not give a choice to not install the 32 bit version.

Everything is squared away at this point, I just added all the paths in cubase. I just checked and it's a total of 8 pathways.

Now the reason I don't want to move anything is due to past experiences with upgrades. Some plugs (in my experience) want you to leave them in the default place for free point upgrades. Is that still an issue? Who knows but I feel like it safer this way. I have also had issues with VST3 plugins acting weird or disappearing when I try to relocate them so I didn't want to move them (although that definitely could be an OSX thing).

I'll be upgrading to C8.5 in a few months and look forward to the new UI setup for organizing plugins. I have accumulated A LOT of them over the years, to the point where I really need to stop buying new ones. :cursing:

The plugin that wants an ilok 2 is mellodyne. I was using v2 and they upped me to v4, again I will remedy the issue soon. I'm not in a hurry because the band I'm finishing up is just a screamer.

The only other issue I have is I still use SSD 3.5 plat which is a kontakt instrument (slate drums 4 has it's own plug now). Well I can't seem to get it to register. I may just trying installing it from scratch again. I can't complain to much because at least I didn't have to re-install komplete ultimate or any of my toontrack stuff again.

Back