Sonar Vs Cubase Or Should I Say Cubase Vs Sonar

CHRIS7

I AM LOOKING INTO COMPUTER RECORDING SOFTWEAR TO BUY,AND MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT SONAR AND CUBASE ARE THE TWO BEST OPTIONS.READING POST ON THE CAKEWALK FORUM MAKES ME THINK THAT SONAR IS A MORE USER FRIENDLY PROGRAM.BEING THAT I HAVE NEVER RECORDED WITH A COMPUTER I REALY DONT KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR,MAYBE SOME OF YOU CUBASE USERS CAN GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON THE MATTER THANKS.

Last edited:
ouch! your shouting hurts my eyes!

If you are looking for a not-so-steep learning curve and want to take advantage of the lower latency WDM drivers, sonar is the way to go. Cubase SX has many more features that sonar does not however:

- multiple & Separate controler panes for each midi track
- send midi clock to multiple ports at once (a must have if you have more than one midi clock dependent gear)
- sonar can only send midi clock to one port!
- slick interface
- everything is set up hierarchically and is more logical and efficient for working on large projects
- you can snap midi automation to the grid (is great for creating gates n such)

what sonar has that sx doesn't:
- sysex viewer
- organize all your sysex data in a simple get/put interface
- wdm driver support
- Playlist program
- play multiple sonar project files as a set in a playlist
- i'm sure there are others i'm missing

good luck...Cory

For what it's worth, I've owned both throughout the years and have finally abandoned Cakewalk-related products such as Sonar for Cubase. More of a personal taste thing.

I've got to tell you I didn't find sonar user friendly at all - it doesnt even have a metronome, you need a sound card with midi capability! I thought the interface was cramped and hurt my eyes. I spent the extra dough and went with cubase sx. Great looking, vst and asio drivers and IMO vey intuitive. But to be fair, I know guys who swear by Sonar, and get great sounds out of it. Try the demos...

Thanks for all the advise i still am not sure witch way to go at this point maybe i will flip a coin.

Rember:
All
Cool
Kids
Use
Sonar

'Nuff said! :D

Personally, I think Sonar much easier to work with, and I'm not missing any tools of functions found in Cubase (a friend uses Cubase SX).

Basically all the big sequensers (like Sonar, Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, etc) has the same features. Download the demos and try them for yourself...

:)

It's been very funny question... :D

Why would it be, Jaymz ?

Because you asked it in Cubase user forum. You'll definitelly will have more answer to pick Cubase over Cakewalk. I think both has it's pros and cons. For me, I'd preffered Cakewalk (SONAR) for sure...

;)
Jaymz

I agree with Moskus, all cool kids use Sonar.

All cool men, however, use Cubase :D

In all seriousness, your best bet is to download the demo's and check them out. Another consideration is if you have any friends or collueges that are using one of the systems. Compatibility with people that you may work with is nice to have.

moskus said:
"Men" are not cool! They're old, hairy and gray... :D

Yeah, and if they're bold, they use Cakewalk Home Studio :D

...Oops, I hope BluesMeister didn't read this thread... :D

FUNNY ?

Well as funny as it may be asking cubase users to give me some advise on the pros and cons of recording software none of you convinced me that it is better than sonar. I am not shure why but more sonar users responded on this post than cubase users ???? looks like i would rather be a cool kid than a old man lol.

More Sonar users responded because there are more Sonar users here at homerecording.com. If you want mroe Cubase users, go to Cubase.net.

I agree with most of the other posts. Try the demos and pick the one you like.

Re: FUNNY ?

CHRIS7 said:
Well as funny as it may be asking cubase users to give me some advise on the pros and cons of recording software none of you convinced me that it is better than sonar. I am not shure why but more sonar users responded on this post than cubase users ???? looks like i would rather be a cool kid than a old man lol.

Actually you had more Cubase users respond. The same two Sonar users did their comedy hour and had more posts between the two, but not more Sonar users responded (although I am sure that could be arranged). :D

Like I first mentioned, your not going to get many responses on this because the question is too big and too involved than to just lay it out in a simple post. All your going to get is what you got "I like (fill in the blank) better because it's a better program". It's all opinions. Do some investigation and educate yourself about the programs. Don't take someone else's word for how you should spend your hard earned money and you won't feel sorry in the end.

Good luck and I hope you find the perfect program for your needs.

Back