Soft-elicenser doesn't have enough permissions to run properly, please run LCC to fix

SIRRISH

I have been using Cubase SX for many years. But I just recently purchased the Cubase 8 with an upgrade to 8.5 [I think]. When I first click the icon on my desktop that says "Cubase 8 64 bit," a window appears and a message appears that says, "Soft-elicenser doesn't have enough permission to run properly. Please run LCC to fix this problem." What does this mean, please.

RISH

I have been using Cubase SX for many years. But I just recently purchased the Cubase 8 with an upgrade to 8.5 [I think]. When I first click the icon on my desktop that says "Cubase 8 64 bit," a window appears and a message appears that says, "Soft-elicenser doesn't have enough permission to run properly. Please run LCC to fix this problem." What does this mean, please.

RISH

Download latest version of elicenser. Do you have a dongle?

I have to download the elicenser thing every time I reload Cubase. Kind of a pain, but it does the trick.

Cubase Elements (including AI and LE) can run using an e-license and the free PACE/iLok License Manager program (but see below for additional details).

Any version beyond Elements/AI/LE must use a physical iLok dongle. :(

Regarding the PACE/iLok License Manager, once you've got that installed and running (assuming you're using the Elements, AI, or LE version), you may occasionally get an error message when starting up Cubase-- I forget the exact message, but I think it recommends re-installing the License Manager, which actually doesn't help at all (at least, not in my case).

What the real problem is (at least whenever it happens to me) is that the PACE License Services aren't running.

To correct this, you must open up the Windows Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools, select Services, and look to see if the entry for PACE License Services says "Running" or not. If not, right-click on the entry and select "Start."

If this keeps happening from time to time, chances are the service is having trouble starting up during the boot process due to too many things trying to start up at once. In that case, go back to the entry, right-click on it and select "Properties," and change its "Startup type" property from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)." That did the trick for me! :)

Cubase Elements (including AI and LE) can run using an e-license and the free PACE/iLok License Manager program (but see below for additional details).

Regarding the PACE/iLok License Manager, once you've got that installed and running (assuming you're using the Elements, AI, or LE version), you may occasionally get an error message when starting up Cubase-- I forget the exact message, but I think it recommends re-installing the License Manager, which actually doesn't help at all (at least, not in my case).

What the real problem is (at least whenever it happens to me) is that the PACE License Services aren't running.

To correct this, you must open up the Windows Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools, select Services, and look to see if the entry for PACE License Services says "Running" or not. If not, right-click on the entry and select "Start."

If this keeps happening from time to time, chances are the service is having trouble starting up during the boot process due to too many things trying to start up at once. In that case, go back to the entry, right-click on it and select "Properties," and change its "Startup type" property from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Start)." That did the trick for me! :)

Hello SeagtGruff . . . I appreciate your response to my LCC question; not many wanted to reply. =0) I'm working on a Windows 8.5 operating system, and I followed your instructions; I went first to ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then clicked on SERVICES (NOTE: Windows 8.5 isn't like the old simple CLICK START > CONTROL PANEL type of deal, it's totally different . . . and I'm a 67 year old teaching myself, cause there is NO ONE ELSE =0)) . . . so, after I clicked SERVICES I looked down the list provided and . . . to my great dismay, there was no PACE file found at all. So, ummmm . . . any other suggestions? I SINCERELY appreciate your kindly spent time in helping me with this. RISH

Wait, what? PACE ILOK has nothing to do with Cubase at all. Where did you hear that SeagtGruff? That is completely not the case man...

And Chili, why would you have to download eLicenser every time? That is so not right in any way...

Download the latest eLicenser version HERE.

Tell me what happens after that.

LCC is 'License Control Center'. It is what will enable your Cubase license/software to work. It must be up to date and appropriate for your OS or it will not work. Ilok has nothing to do with Cubase. It is a completely proprietary security license for other third party VST software. In no way related to Steinberg.

And to be clear here, if 'and only if' you have software licensed via Ilok, is this a possible issue. Cubase does not have anything to do with Ilok. But, I have also had issues opening Cubase if the Ilok manager was not already started before initialization of Cubase. It just stopped those plugins from loading though. It does not seem to be the case here.

I have to download the elicenser thing every time I reload Cubase. Kind of a pain, but it does the trick.

Hello Chili . . . Hey, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Someone had asked---I thought it was you---if I had a dongle . . . and yes, I do, it is plugged into the computer. And, when I get this error message about not having enough soft license to operate the software properly, when I click the OK . . . it goes ahead and loads the software. But, I get that message every time I open the program. When you say that you have "to download the elicenser thing every time" . . . how do you do that?

Thanks, RISH

Hello Chili . . . Hey, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Someone had asked---I thought it was you---if I had a dongle . . . and yes, I do, it is plugged into the computer. And, when I get this error message about not having enough soft license to operate the software properly, when I click the OK . . . it goes ahead and loads the software. But, I get that message every time I open the program. When you say that you have "to download the elicenser thing every time" . . . how do you do that?

Thanks, RISH

I was the one who asked you if you have a dongle.

Dood. Just download the latest version of eLicenser as I posted earlier. HERE it is again. Follow the instructions and see what happens.

Run that as admin and you should never have an issue again. You may need to run 'Maintenance' from LLC but I can't say for sure until you update the shiz and tell me what it says. I am not even sure if you have a 'soft' license or a dongle license. You have not been clear about that.

These types of issues are well documented @ steinberg.net forums. It can seem frustrating but once it is done, you need not deal with it anymore. Just have to make sure your licenses are either linked to your registered dongle or soft licenses to the computer you are using. Only on rare occasions is this an issue. Do the basic steps first.

:)

I apologize, I guess I got confused between one dongle and another. I don't have any dongles myself, and I do have the PACE/iLok license manager running for a number of soft synths, as well as for Avid Pro Tools First. I didn't realize that Steinberg has their own dongle. :(

PS-- I just bought the update from Cubase Elements 8 to Cubase Elements 9, although I won't be able to install and test it until I get home after Christmas. I'm hoping it will be a smooth, painless process.

Hello Jimmys69!!

Mannnn, is it a good feeling when someone like lil' ol me finds someone [like you] who can---just like that---take care of a looming issue that faces you every day. I clicked the "HERE" you posted and it brought me to the DOWNLOAD. I clicked DOWNLOAD . . . it loaded . . . and TA DAAAAAAA!!!!! The "please run LCC" THANG . . . is "GONE!!!" THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU . . . I am SO APPRECIATIVE of your help!!

RISH

Hello Jimmys69!!

Mannnn, is it a good feeling when someone like lil' ol me finds someone [like you] who can---just like that---take care of a looming issue that faces you every day. I clicked the "HERE" you posted and it brought me to the DOWNLOAD. I clicked DOWNLOAD . . . it loaded . . . and TA DAAAAAAA!!!!! The "please run LCC" THANG . . . is "GONE!!!" THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU . . . I am SO APPRECIATIVE of your help!!

RISH

Anytime man! :)

Members here helped me out when I was just starting my home studio. Just paying forward what I can from my experience. Welcome to the family Rish!

Last edited:
Back