Seperate Tracks at final mixdown?

4tracker

Hey guys.

Say I have nine songs I want on a CD. How do you go about doing this in cubase? Do you add all 9 songs to one project and somehow delineate them? Or is there a better process? If someone can tell me what this process is called I can do the research on my own and figure it out, but I don't even know what to search.

Wavelab is your best bet for that.

I purchased Wavelab Elements 7 and a $35 book about it like 2 years ago. Messed with it for a few then found a local studio owner that would put it together and add ISRC codes for $20 to $40. I never got around to learning the software, but that is what it is for. Plus, if it get's screwed up I can blame someone else! lol

Wavelab is your best bet for that.

Ah.
So there is no way to do it in Cubase? Right now I have 9 audio tracks (the 9 songs) imported into one project. This is fine except I don't know how to delineate track 1 from track 2 for CD purposes. Right now when mixed down and exported it's 1 long track.

Also, what is the process of separating the songs called? I can research it on my own if I know what to look for.

Not if you want the tracks separate with different track numbers.

There are other programs that will burn a disk easy enough. Not in the way you would want to market in stores tho.

I use the full version of wavelab for this job, you can indeed add ISRC's and if wanted track text as well, you can do some other things as well though like crossfades and most importantly the gaps between tracks and check for errors.

Ah.
So there is no way to do it in Cubase? Right now I have 9 audio tracks (the 9 songs) imported into one project. This is fine except I don't know how to delineate track 1 from track 2 for CD purposes. Right now when mixed down and exported it's 1 long track.

Also, what is the process of separating the songs called? I can research it on my own if I know what to look for.
Sounds like you have them in a line on one track. Are you also inserting your final eqs, comp/limiters or what have you into each clip?
What I do when I'm assembling for an album in Sonar is put each song on it's own track, and in sequence along the time line. Then adjust the trims, fades, and add the gaps by the length at the end of each song.
Then when you export or burn the cd what ever, each is it's own, '#1 song, '#2 song etc, and they play in sequence with the timing between you set.

Cubase doesn't produce CDs, you use editing/compiling software for that - it gives the options for gap or gapless between tracks (as you would want on a live album). Many people edit audio in Cubase, but others, including me, edit on something different - I use Sony Sound Forge, but then even that doesn't produce a proper CD, so I use another product to do that. Cubase doesn't really need to make CDs - not in the design purpose?

Personally, I'd just export each separate track as individual files with incremental numbered titles then create the audio CD in something else - actually even i-tunes if you are pushed using a playlist you then burn to disc.

Sounds like you have them in a line on one track. Are you also inserting your final eqs, comp/limiters or what have you into each clip?
What I do when I'm assembling for an album in Sonar is put each song on it's own track, and in sequence along the time line. Then adjust the trims, fades, and add the gaps by the length at the end of each song.
Then when you export or burn the cd what ever, each is it's own, '#1 song, '#2 song etc, and they play in sequence with the timing between you set.

I have them on 9 separate tracks, actually. I did this so I could adjust EQ and dynamics for each track. It's gapless. It sounds good as it for me, but I'm going to be giving it to friends, and if they want to hear a song again or skip a song it would be nice if >> and << didn't go to the end and beginning of the record. I can't drop $500 on wavelabs right now, and the Essentials trial version didn't have that feature.

Is there a solution under $100 that allows for isrc, track numbering, etc?

Reaper can make a DDP 2.0 file with all that meta data. It requires a third party plugin and you have to do a bunch of tedious stuff manually.

I used some version of Nero to burn it to CD and it retained all the info.

I have them on 9 separate tracks, actually. I did this so I could adjust EQ and dynamics for each track. It's gapless. It sounds good as it for me, but I'm going to be giving it to friends, and if they want to hear a song again or skip a song it would be nice if >> and << didn't go to the end and beginning of the record. I can't drop $500 on wavelabs right now, and the Essentials trial version didn't have that feature.

Is there a solution under $100 that allows for isrc, track numbering, etc?
So what are you doing selecting them all and exporting? You have to do them one at a time as individual tracks/files! You don't need another hundred dollar program to at least get that far.

import then as 16 bit 44.1khz wav files into nero and it will work, then you can save the playlist, i-tunes also does the same thing

So what are you doing selecting them all and exporting? You have to do them one at a time as individual tracks/files! You don't need another hundred dollar program to at least get that far.

Yeah I just exported the project. I'll do them one at a time now and use Nero and see how that works.

There you go now! Don't forget to turn on 'gapless in Nero :)
..wipes hands on pants..

What would you do if you want the beginning of song B to start before song A is finished?
This is a weird, lo-fi punk record and some things overlap one another like that.

Then you will definitely need a full on mastering editing program like Wavelab. Or you could go with Sequoia which is what the studio I go to for $20 do it with. Don't look at the price of the software...

You may be best contacting a big studio in your area and see what they would charge to take your wav exports and put in the data and track separations for you. It may be less than you think. If you are not asking for a mastering engineer to actually master the individual songs, you can likely get this done cheap. This particular studio I go to is FTM in Colorado. Steve has always given me great price for doing these things. And it takes him literally 30 min to enter the ISRC codes, do final level adjustment, fades and gaps, and burn a master for a 12 track record.

Last edited:
What would you do if you want the beginning of song B to start before song A is finished?
This is a weird, lo-fi punk record and some things overlap one another like that.
Cross fades the one thing I don't know off hand how to do- haven't needed it much but got it done (somehow) a long time ago but don't even remember how.
Ok that was a live project and it might have been just the two blended and split'. That of course would be if you went to the 'second song it would have a bit of the 1st trailing off in it. But then again, that's got to happen not matter what I suppose?

Back