Recording using Cubase 5, but just can't quite get it!

cezzell

I play all kinds of instruments and sing, and somewhat computer savvy, but when it comes to putting it so together, it seems overwhelming. I have watched youtube videos to learn and it seems like I understand it all, until the time comes to actually put it together. What could be the problem?
Here are a few problems that I face:

*I have my audio settings programed correctly, but somehow the sound doesn't work in playback and the audio in and out shows inactive. But how does it change or what is causing the issue?

* I save a track of keyboard and vocals. Then when I later want to open it to continue adding instruments or edit; I can't find it when I'm asked to search folders. Or I find it but it doesn't open because files are missing. What am I doing wrong?

I would like to find an easy tutorial for working with Cubase 5. I have everything I need to record a decent sounding CD, but the obstacles are preventing me. I am learning as I go, but there's just so much that I need to know, that it makes it a little overwhelming.

Can anyone provide me any help? I will be very grateful!

Thank you,
Connie ?

Probably more suited to the Cubase sub-forum.

What audio driver do you have selected in the 'device setup' menu?

The 'search folders' dialogue box means that cubase cannot find the audio files you recorded, usually because the project file has been moved to another folder. Might be worth checking the default path for audio files in your preferences menu and seeing if the folder is empty or not.

Welcome cezzell!

Check out THIS 'stuck' thread here in the Steinberg / Cubase forum.

It is for Cubase LE4 but still basically the same.

Even if you have the correct device selected in Device Setup, if there are no input or output bus's created in VST Connections it will show inactive.

I believe the default folder for Cubase projects is C:/Users/Name/My Documents/Cubase Projects.

See if that get's you going. If not, come on back. I'll help you more. :)

I found an old thread I posted for a member with similar question HERE. Replace the Tascam interface with what you have.

By the way, are you using an external recording interface?

Last edited:
Hmm i really dont know if this can help in any way but i've written a couple of tutorials on setting up a DAW here's one for a project in cubase hope it helps...

View attachment Peer Assignment 2.pdf

If you like it i made like 7 others on different stuff can be handy... i guess?

PS : This might be outdated i made it like 3 years ago but the most important stuff should be there

PPS: There are some wrong indications like on PT 16 about low buffer size but its nothing major i guess

Back