Recommendations for a MIDI keyboard/controller for Cubase?

ELECTRIC-MAYHEM

Hi all, In the coming weeks I plan on upgrading my software (LE7) to a full version, as well as purchase some equipment.
I just picked up a pair of monitors, a used set of M-audio BX5a's. I haven't picked up the balanced cables as of yet, but will probably be getting them at the local Sam Ashe where I bought the monitors. The sales crew there have been incredibly patient with my endless questions and are very knowledgeable. In fact, they directed me to this site.

Anyway, I am also in the market for a MIDI controller keyboard. My price range is in the neighborhood of $200.
I know that many claim to be universal and mappable to any DAW, but I've read various posts where certain units have difficulty with plug-ins and whatnot.
So...can anyone point me in the direction of a particular controller that they can swear by, that is optimal for use with Cubase?

For what it's worth, the crew at Sam Ashe have recommended the Samson Carbon, as I told them I'm on a budget. Though I'm looking at possibly the Graphite as well.
Both of these come bundled with Native Instrument's KOMPLETE ELEMENTS software.

Locally on Craigslist there is a slightly used Arturia Keylab 61, it comes with an unactivated copy of Analog Lab software, sale price $225.
I've read some reviews of those that say they are poorly constructed...

I guess I should give a little more information about what I plan to DO with the keyboard.
I am recording via the Scarlett 2i2 into Cubase, mostly acoustic rhythm tracks with electric guitar, bass guitar, vocals, harmonica and keyboards overdubbed.
It's just me at this time, no drummer or other musicians.
So primarily I need the thing to be an actual controller for levels, transport controls, etc. more than I need it to be an instrument. As in, I'm not looking to create music on the keyboard, per se.
I don't do electronica, or dance beats, video game music or atmospheric ambient stuff -I don't need a synthesizer. Some different piano, strings, organ sounds would be nice but no need for much more.

However I DO need to be able to create realistic drum tracks (I don't have a preferred software for that yet, either -so that is part of the equation).

As always I appreciate any advice or insight, thanks!

I've got a Nektar Impact 49-key model. $160 new, I think I paid $100 to a guy on Craigslist. I like it a lot, though even after 6 months I still have to force myself to use the faders and knobs instead of the on screen controls. Setup for Logic was easy, the instructions are clear - I'd expect the same for Cubase.

J

I've got a Nektar Impact 49-key model. $160 new, I think I paid $100 to a guy on Craigslist. I like it a lot, though even after 6 months I still have to force myself to use the faders and knobs instead of the on screen controls. Setup for Logic was easy, the instructions are clear - I'd expect the same for Cubase.
I'm running Cubase 7.5 and I recently (about 7 months ago) picked up the same Nektar unit. I've got to say that my experience has been the same as JMac; super easy to set up and it maps itself for the most part, but I rarely use the faders and knobs - the transport controls are perfect though as you don't have to set up hotkeys on your comp keyboard if you don't want to. I use the pads for BFD when I program drums and I use the keys for piano/synth parts when a song calls for them.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with other controllers outside of an old M-Audio keyboard controller that I bought way back when SX3 was the current version of Cubase. It looks like the launchkey is a pretty solid unit (based on reviews) and has a lot of the same features (comparing the 49-key version to the Impact), it's just laid out a little differently and costs a little more.

I'm using an old edirol PCR-m30 because it fits nicely on my desk and has 8 faders, and 8 knobs, bought it second hand for something like £40 on ebay a few years ago, newer ones are probably better but it's been great so far.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still undecided but will be taking another trip to Sam Ash today to look things over.

The features I'm looking for are prioritized as:

1) Level/parameter/touchpad/transport control.
As stated I am looking for this to be a MIDI controller first and foremost, with the biggest emphasis on music creation being drum tracks...so the more faders, tweaker knobs, assignable pads and whatnot, the better....right?

2) Ease of use with Cubase:
I'm new to all of this and don't want to spends weeks educating myself on how to make a piece of equipment that I don't understand communicate with a DAW that I don't yet understand.....I'm sure you understand.

3)Bundled software:
Some of these units come packaged with software suites, VST packs, etc...Should that be a selling point or am I better off just getting the best piece of hardware that I can, and then purchasing separate drum modelers, plug-ins, etc?

4)quality/characteristics of the actual keyboard:
Weighted keys, semi-weighted keys, aftertouch, Fatar....I don't know what any of this means. Obviously it has something to do with how realistic the keys feel compared to an actual piano. I don't want a keyboard that feels like a toy piano, but I'm not playing Chopin here either...but to be honest I don't know how important this is to me yet. I don't want to feel limited by my equipment.

Sooooo......am I missing anything here, in terms of what I need to be looking for? I realize I'm really obsessing over this purchase but if I get it wrong I'll have to live with it for quite some time.

Back