Quick routing issue

cpl_crud

Hi all.
I'm at a crossroads- should I keep my hulking, analouge 24-track mixer, or should I sell it and buy a control surface for my DAW...

Rather than bore you with details, I'll get straight to the point.

Can you do real-time matrix routing with any version of Cubase? I'm about to upgrade to either SX 3 or SL 3 (depending on budget, of course...) and I'm using a RME96 PAD8 to get the signal into my box (got a couple of ADAT pres).

My only concern is that, in a studio environment, I won't be able to make up monitor mixes for myself and the artists without my mixer.

So, yeah, will I be able to take the 8 ADAT tracks from the RME, pump them through an ASIO 2 driver, into cubase, then mix up 4-8 matrix sends for monitoring? Or is matrixing a bit beyond cubase?

Thanks.

You should be able to setup, your monitor mixes, etc. from within cubase, however depending on your circumstances (i.e. heavy track count/CPU load), it may be more beneficial to monitor outside the box, via your trusty old 24 track mixer (Even with the best computer setup, you'll get lower latency with the 24 track).

I have kept my old analog gear even though I have moved over to the digital realm. I'd say keep the mixer, and invest in the control surface too.

Remember, that 24 track mixer still has a use in life (Studio monitoring, Live gigs, location recording, as a backup for digital gear which always seem to break at the worst time, etc.).

Cheers, that was my thinking, but I'm just in a tight spot financially, so the sale of the 24 track was going to fund the Control surface...

I'lll have a go at monitoring through cubase (whilst haning onto the mixer) and see what everyone thinks, but, after thinking about it a bit more, until I can afford a production console, I think I'll keep the mixer...

I might just hit the streets again and do a few more overtime hours at the theatre...

Thanks

Yeah keep the mixer,but controll surface is a good thing too. :D especialy the motorised faders @ your fingertips mmmMMmmMmmMmm....

Come to the light ;)

Back