Pro Tools to Cubase

lomky

So I have some tracks that I recorded into Pro Tools. I am going to finally purchase Cubase 5.0 I need to import these tracks into Cubase. Now I know you can just import the AIFF files, however not all of the tracks start at zero i.e. punched in back-ups, solos etc. How do I make sure the timing is right? I was hoping that the insert silence would work but alas no. Any suggestions. Homerecording.com kicks ass!!!

I'm not sure you can do this in ProTools, but in cubase, you can draw another track (empty) then glue the trax together. If you can, draw a track from 0.00 to the recorded track & glue together. This in cubase at least, inserts the silence from 0.00 to (x) which should keep your arrangement in time.

I don't think that you can do that in pro tools, however you have got me thinking.... It actually works with individual AIFF files so I don't think you can paste two tracks together, or better said I have not seen this functionality.... Anyone??

Actually, The easiest way to avoid having to try to align the tracks after you import them in cubase is to set them to a fixed length in protools before you export them.

All you have to do is open your protools session, open the edit window and select the cutting tool (just left of the hand tool), then find the track you want to fix and double click on anypart of it in the edit window, this will highlight the entire track including black spots and slince. Now all you have to do is an Alt+Shift+3 for Consolodate Selection and it will consolodate the entire track to one wav (or aiff) file. Do this for each track you want to bring into cubase and you won't have to worry about alignment problems.

btw, before importing protools wav files into cubase I found it neccessary to use wavelab or soundforge to open and save the file to remove the extra information that protools appends to the wav file header. If you don't do this cubase will freak and lock up, it may or may not be the same with the aiff files but I thought I'd mention it.

Hope that helps,

Back