please help the greenest green horn technophobe in the western world .

barney12

As m'y title suggests, I am new to all this music technology . I play quiet badly and guitar even worse to be honest , but i love creating music . Im just banging my head off the wall when it comes to cubase .I've got cubase 7 by the way .can anyone direct me to a series of how to video clips, for cubase 7 , because I could read books about it all day long , but i need to see someone actually doing it on the screen. Thanks very much for any help you can give me .

Cubase is extremely complex and capable, and almost every users sets it up differently, and does things in different ways. As such, you really won't get anything from tutorials - the majority are by people who have little clue, and are promoting very weird workflows. For specific needs, you can find short tutorials - so if you are stuck with say, the compressors and dynamics tools, then these can be handy - but because many windows have different contents depending on what kit you have connected, and VSTi's installed, many tutorials just confuse.

Are you wanting to record real instruments and voices, or do you want to use soft synths? Recording style, as in press record, play and then stop, or pattern based? You say you play badly? As in a few mistakes, or just no ability or musicality? The treatment would be quite different - plus of course the genre of music. Somebody keen on rap and drum 'n' bass uses Cubase very differently from me who is into 'older' music - drums, bass, keys and guitars?

What are you having issues with?

Thanks for your reply Rob . To be honest , I'm an old fashioned musician of sorts . Drums bass piano guitar and a bit of vocals , given enough fosters . It's more just all the basics of recording that I need help with . I think you tube may be my best bet , I just thought someone might know about a set of DVD tutorials for cubase 7 that would be worth investing in . Thanks again Rob .

Thanks for that Jake . I did look at some of them , but found them a liitle helpful. I looked at a clip from one of the people on here last night , which talked about time stretching , it was great , but a little advanced , it was the fact that it was a real person , slowly going through things that made it so useful I think.

Slow going is standard for learning anything technical from the ground up, stick with it and I'm sure you'll be fine :)

If you just want to record some stuff, you'll need to learn the very basics:
- how to set up your sound card/audio interface to work with cubase (learn about buffer size and asio drivers)
- how to set up inputs and outputs
- creating and arming tracks
- click tracks and tempo

With those four things down you should be able to make the first few recordings - not going to say they'll be good but basics first is important.

There's a lot of info on google about these things, hopefully this points you in the right direction!

I don't know Cubase, but many people confuse the complexity of the software when it is really the complexity of the subject (this case recording).

I gave a lecture about recording at the local library a few weeks back. I used the Recording for Dummies for the outline. Good book and it seemed to hit all of the marks. I started out with 15 people, after going through terminology for about an hour, I lost half the class.

Just keep working at it and you will get there. As stated above, get your system setup, learn how to make a track recording, etc. Just basics, then start going from there. I would suggest after basics above, get good at tracking, then learn EQ and compression. After that, it gets much easier.

Back