piano goes South after mixcown from HALion Sonic SE , Cubase Elements 7

whymark

Hi All, I'm working a project with the subject materials. I've layered a Bright Acoustic Piano with an Acoustic Grand Piano in HALion. No FX other than EQ. I've tried several of my favorite EQs from my own acoustic piano playing through mics into Cubase as well as most of the presets given with HALion. The mixdown is a Broadcast WAV file @ 44.1 Hz and 16 bit. There is plenty of headroom showing on the mix console with nothing coming anywhere near clip. When I play the project through the monitors, all is bright and clear. After mixdown and played through my stereo speakers it sounds like the speakers are either torn of coated with Elmer's glue; neither of which is acceptable. Can anybody, somebody, everybody pullllleeeeeze set me straight on this??
Many many thanks
Mark

Does the export that sounded good in Cubase sound the same if you export, and then import it back into Cubase and play through the same monitors? Try that first.

If it does not, then you have a strange issue. If it sounds the same, then you have the same issue we all have...

I always 'bounce to tracks' (a new of the mix in Sonar). Play that in/on a new zeroed' clean bus that way it plays through the exact same monitor situation as the live' mix playback. You can solo/mute a/b style. Great way to establish that at least that much is Exactly Perfect, as Bob would say. :D

OK, I imported the questionable audio file and it sounded great through the monitors. Of course I now have only 1 track. When I exported it again it sounded much better....more clarity and brightness. I'll have to investigate more on the "bounce to track" solution provided by mixsit as I'm not quite sure how to go about that....I'm still confused but, at least have a WAVV file that's tolerable. Many thanks guys.
mark

There should be absolutely nothing that can change the quality of the export from Cubase. With the same settings anyway.

It seems you may have the same issue we all have. Making our mixes sound good on all systems...

Let's talk about your monitors and room treatment. :)

you're correct Jimmy, both mixdowns sound exactly the same....muffled and muddy....I guess I just wanted to hear something different yesterday but, that was hopelessly hoping (apologies to CSN)....I'm using Yamaha HS50M monitors....small but, more than adequate...however they do playback with more high-end than the stereo speakers....they have 2-3 settings for MID EQ, ROOM CONTROL, HI TRIM and LOW CUT....I'll fool with these to try and get closer to the stereo speaker's sound....the room itself is acoustically dead or close to it....the room shouldn't come into play when working with MIDI like it does recording through mics which is my normal mode....I wanted to check out the HALion sounds/programs/whatever and found a "delicate DX" sound that absolutely blows this project over the top when played through the monitors but, all but disappears with the mixdown played through the Stereo setup.....It's a real bummer for me.....today I cranked up the high end EQ (4 dB across 1-5KHz) but, still get the muffled and muddy sound.....did I mention what a bummer this is??....I've fooled around with the Sustain Controllers (OFF) and various MIDI functions but, to no avail......anyway that's my tale of woe

..found a "delicate DX" sound that absolutely blows this project over the top when played through the monitors but, all but disappears with the mixdown played through the Stereo setup.....It's a real bummer for me.....today I cranked up the high end EQ (4 dB across 1-5KHz) but, still get the muffled and muddy sound
Lets clear something up. Is this boil down to the sound, reproduction differences between two speakers playing the same exported mix file? Just to be clear, no longer 'export goes south?
Assuming that.. (Assume' "makes an ass out of u and me :)
The Yammies' might be mid forward (don't know
How much you want to bet the hifi' ones are scooped' / warm and comfy' ;)

<trying to clear things up>...two separate files and two separate speaker systems.....1st file is Cubase *cpr playing from Cubase through studio monitors.....2nd file is exported *wav file playing through a nice set of Bose speakers.....same notes.....very different sounds....I've toned down the monitors as much as possible but, that's not the issue.....the issue is why does the sound quality seem to degrade after export?....Would you or anybody else be willing to take the *cpr file and export on your equipment and be an independent judge on whether or not you hear the same (i.e. significant) degradation of sound quality....this is my first MIDI project as I normally use mics but, like I said, I wanted to fool around with HALion....with *cpr files made with mics there is no degradation of sound quality after export.....I dunno, maybe it's me, maybe it's HALion....probably both

<trying to clear things up>...two separate files and two separate speaker systems.....1st file is Cubase *cpr playing from Cubase through studio monitors.....2nd file is exported *wav file playing through a nice set of Bose speakers.....same notes.....very different sounds....I've toned down the monitors as much as possible but, that's not the issue.....the issue is why does the sound quality seem to degrade after export?....Would you or anybody else be willing to take the *cpr file and export on your equipment and be an independent judge on whether or not you hear the same (i.e. significant) degradation of sound quality....this is my first MIDI project as I normally use mics but, like I said, I wanted to fool around with HALion....with *cpr files made with mics there is no degradation of sound quality after export.....I dunno, maybe it's me, maybe it's HALion....probably both
Ok, and I don't recall, maybe you said earlier, did you ever compare the two, 'live vs the rendering, through the same chain (i.e. DAW, monitors ect?
Half of trouble shooting is identifying so you can understand and account for the variables. :)

(Saw this, just not sure where if left things..
OK, I imported the questionable audio file and it sounded great through the monitors. Of course I now have only 1 track. When I exported it again it sounded much better....more clarity and brightness. I'll have to investigate more on the "bounce to track" solution provided by mixsit as I'm not quite sure how to go about that....I'm still confused but, at least have a WAVV file that's tolerable. Many thanks guys.
mark
Part of it seems to point to the export is fine. The other.. ?

Sent PM. Only received cpr file. Actually a bak file.

Waiting for send of the whole folder.

I am betting it is just a poorly treated room. 99% of the time that is the issue...

Back