"Organize" function for Global Workspace Settings seems like it's missing something..

geneticfunk

"Organize" function for Global Workspace Settings seems like it's missing something..

I'd like to be able to rearrange the order of my Global Workspace Presets. The reason that I want to rearrange this order is because this order defines the Workspace numbers (and therefore corresponding Key Commands) that will be assigned to any project's Workspaces when "Auto Instantiate Presets" is turned on in the "Workspaces -> Organize..." dialog.

Does anyone know how to do this?

No clue. However, you can change the keycommand for every Workspace. It's a workaround, but might be worth it.

Ah, but the problem with this work around is that if you Auto Instantiate your Workspaces, you have to rearrange your whole Global Presets if you even want to make a minor change to one of your Global Presets... it's either that, or rearrange your Workspace Hot Keys, but the problem with that option is that all of your existing projects' Workspaces would now be assigned to different keys than they previously were.

I'm surprised Steinberg didn't consider this, it would be so easy to have a simple "move up" and "move down" button in the Workspaces -> Organize function.

Agreed, it's far from ideal. I use 3 layouts for everything: one with the sequence window, the pool, the markers, the VSTis and the transport, one that's the same but with the mixer instead of the sequence window, and one with just the sequence window and the transport (mostly for detailed midi editing). That works good enough for most stuff, but if I wanna change something, I'm fairly screwed.

You know what, I figured out another workaround. Just use "Project Templates" that have your desired key commands mapped to their Workspaces. I just learned about Project Templates, I wish I had known about them a long time ago!

If you always start a project by working from a Project Template, there should be no problems, so long as you're sure to set all of the templates' workspaces to be sufficiently similar across templates to justify identical key command mapping.

That works, except that I usually underestimate the amount of the work involved in a single project, and I need to do more stuff per project in the end, so in the beginning, I'm not sure about which screen layout I wanna use. Like, at some point, I decide to do less midi and more samples. I then want the pool in my window, but don't need the VSTi. Or I'm making something for video, but the project grows with more and more markers and sudden I find myself highly anoyed by the fact that my screen layout has too small a marker window.

Back