Nuendo or Cubase SX?

mastahnke

Linux Man...
What are the pros/cons of each exactly? I know that Nuendo is mainly for audio and SX has huge midi options, but what are those options? I have heard that SX's audio engine is taken from Nuendo, so the audio should be just as good.

Basically should I spend 700 on SX or 1300 on Nuendo when SX can probably do the same things?

I guess I would like details of pros/cons, because I can't find anything worthwhile about the debate.

Your best bet is to go to the Steinberg website and compare the product side by side. The programs are so complex and do so much that no one here can tell you pro's and con's and have it mean anything to you.

What I CAN say is that they are both great programs.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

I can tell you the Steinberg website is about as helpful as a busload of people who are not helpful.

Cubase SX "for the professional musician"

Nuendo "For the audio professional"

I'm glad that was cleared up by their wonderful site :D

You have to go a bit deeper than that....download the Nuendo and SX operation manuals at the bottom of the page of these links. Just looking at the table of contents will give you a general overview of what they do.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/ps/products/music_production/cubase_sx_pc/index.php?sid=0

http://www.steinberg.net/en/ps/products/media_production/nuendo_pc/index.php?sid=0

Now that SX is out, the programs have a lot of similarity, the code for SX is based on Nuendo. It used to be that Nuendo was considered more stable and had a better audio engine. Now that is not the case anymore. It's also hard to compare them right now because SX is so new and there are lots of features that are supposed to be coming in the near future. Both do audio, both do video, both do MIDI. Which one you want really depends exclusively on what your using it for, and which features you need.

I will say that Steinbergs new website is not as easy to navigate, nor does it seem to contain as much info as before. They used to have these downloadable 3 to 4 page phamplets that had info on product and those seem to be gone.

Nuendo does handle video much better than SX (more tools)........

Other than that - I don't know the exact differences...........

I seriously have tried to look high and low, and found minimal data. I guess SX is cheaper, so I am leaning that way. I don't do much with video and when I do, I have afriend that has all the Adobe stuff.

Does SX do surround well? Can you use a joystick for panning, cause that is just cool.

--MIKE

Forgive me for reviving this thread, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread about a topic previously discussed.

A friend of mine and I are planning on getting a good, powerful editor, and we are looking at Cubase SX and Nuendo.

I am quite familiar with Cubase VST, Nuendo, Cool Edit Pro, and Pro Tools as I have had the opportunity to work with each of them, while my friend has predominantly worked with PT. I've only seen Cubase SX in action for a few minutes, and the layout/handling looked very similar to Nuendo.

So I was wondering, apart from the cost and video editing/compatibility, are there any big differences? We are willing to spend the extra cash for Nuendo if it has a big advantage over SX, as his parents are willing to help out (it's kind of a Christmas gift, but for our apartment :D).

I know that Nuendo isn't exactly all that friendly with MIDI, whereas the updates (eg. 1.05) for Cubase are supposed to have fixed some of those problems. My friend is a keyboard player with a Korg Triton Pro, so we could obviously used the MIDI capabilities of that with Cubase, but in the past, we have recorded him straight through the line out, so MIDI really isn't that big of a deal for us (yet). Apart from that, the only time I really use MIDI is when I compose music in an editor such as Finale or Power Tab, where I can type in the score, export the MIDI, then import into the software. Even though I know that SX has a MIDI score editor built in, I would prefer to use the aforementioned programs to do my MIDI work.

Based on my anaylsis so far, it sounds like Cubase SX is the real deal, as Nuendo doesn't really show any significant additional features (for my needs) that warrant the higher price tag.

So essentially, all I'm asking is the input of the people here who are more experienced with the programs than myself. I do not want to shell out all that money and then regret it later on.

Thanks for you time,

Hugh Jazz

EDIT: We, or actually I, may eventually fool around with video editing, as a good friend of mine has a digital video camera that we like to mess around with. I may get creative one day and decide to make some kind of a music video or a short film, so that's not entirely out of the question. I would also be interested in surround sound mixing, but I hear both Nuendo and SX handle it well.

EDIT 2: What's this I hear about Logic? I've never used or seen it, but some people on this board seem to swear by it. :confused:

Last edited:
Logic...really cool program, but it is now owned by Apple, thus they are dropping Windows support and updates, so you might want to shy away from that one if you are PC based.

Cubase SX vs Nuendo, after I started this thread I got on the Nuendo and Cubase boards on the steinberg sites and basically everybody says Cubase SX. Nuendo really isn't much of an improvement currently. When Nuendo 2 is released the difference will probably be more noticable. Right now the biggest difference I see is controller options. Nuendo has HUI support, Cubase doesn't.

You can do video in Cubase (sort of). For just playing with DV camera it will probably be fine. Vegas is a little better, but not as powerful for audio. Cubase can do surround, though I have no experience in that area. I would save 600$ and go with Cubase. You can find for 599$ on sale these days and that is a pretty darn-good deal.

--MIKE

Back