Non-newbie Cubase SX sync issues

Taufactor

Hey all, my first post on this board...

I've been having issues with Cubase glitching and going out of synch with MIDI. I'm using SX 1.05, legit install.

My setup:
Sound card/midi interface: M-audio 2496
Outboard Keyboard and modules.
Not using VST instruments
PC with XP Pro SP1 installed
P4/512megs, Asus mobo, seperate IDE HD's for OS and data files
External digital mixer SP/DIF to Soundcard

My problems:
-Midi glitches at random intervals, sometimes knocking my synths offline (such as changing volumes levels, screwing up the tuning, and assorted weird happenings). Even my external sampler will pop up a message "midi receive error" when the midi burps...

-Midi synch sometimes off time, verified that the CPU is not under heavy load. I've double-checked that my system is optimized for perfomance, and it's also not hitting virtual mem. when things go wacky.

-sometimes Cubase will not acknowledge changes in the loop points, and keep looping at a previous loop location. I think this is a known issue with these earlier versions of Cubase and isn't as problematic as the other two I've descibed above.

Troubleshooting/Remedies that I've tried:
-full uninstall and reinstalling Cubase
-checking Prefs, and setting midi filtration in Cubase
-replacing midi cables
-updating/reverting drivers for the soundcard
-checking the Cubase forums at Steinberg's site for any info or tips (not much luck with this particular issue)
-called M-audio to see if they have any issues with their drivers and Cubase

I'm pretty stuck with this one... I'm able to limp by while I'm working, but it's been a nagging problem since the beginning. I'm not even certain if this is a Cubase problem, entirely. I've read the documentation, and I've browsed the Steinberg forums. The only thing I think I haven't tried yet is using a different MIDI interface to narrow things down even further. I keep going through my settings, trying to figure out if there's something I've missed...

Something's definitely up, I've tried playing back sequences on my XP-60 workstation, and it never glitches.

I've tried asking around, but most of my local friends are either Mac/Logic users, or they are Cakewalkers. Or they use only Reason and other virtual apps...

Any advice or perspective would be appreciated :)

I'd try defragging the hd's at regular intervals if you don't already. Check and eliminate any adware you may have by downloading and running Ad-aware 6.0 at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ . Check what you have running in the backround, like antivirus programs and disable them while you track. You also might want to check out the video cards memory because I've heard they can cause havoc too. If none of that works then maybe you're having conflicts with sharing interrupts which you should consult with a computer tech to figure out. G/L

Thanks for the feedback. The last item you described is the one I'll check out, got everything else covered.

Back