NO SOUND with MIDI from CuBase LE5.

blackgnuzu

Have successfully installed CuBase LE5 onto an ASUS laptop.

When importing a MIDI file (which has been successfully played on Windows Media Player), the MIDI commands can be seen in the Project Window, music in the editor, but nothing can be heard on playback.

The metronome can be heard, audio can be recorded and heard on playback. No MIDI signals are being converted to sound.

In Device Setup VST Audio System 3 choices are available:
ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver
ASIO4ALL v2
Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver

Audio Playback and hearing of the metronome tick only occurs in the ASIO4ALL v2.

I am not recording by MIDI, there are no instruments connected. I simply want to edit MIDI files and then hear them played back through CuBase LE5.

Thanks

When Media player was playing the midi, it was probably playing it through the microsoft wavetable.

To play midi in Cubase, I think you will need to set up cubase so that the microsoft wavetable is one of the midi output devices.

Alternatively, you can load a virtual instrument onto the midi track.

For some reason LE5 opens imported MIDI files as Instrument Tracks by default. This is not so with Cubase 8 or at least the Wavetable Synth is there by default.

So here is a fix for you blackgnuzu that I have tested on LE5:

Open Cubase then go to: File>Preferences...>MIDI>MIDI File. Uncheck 'Import To Instrument Track'.

Now when you Import a MIDI file it will pull up the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as default instrument and play audio from the MIDI file.

I downloaded a GNR MIDI file and opened it in LE5 on my office computer. Wow that Wavetable Synth sounds silly... For some reason the Wavetable sounds on my recording PC sounded much better/different instruments. Not sure how all that works but obviously the synth is different on each PC. Only difference in OS is that the office PC is W7 Home and the other W7 Pro.

Anyway, have fun!

For some reason LE5 opens imported MIDI files as Instrument Tracks by default. This is not so with Cubase 8 or at least the Wavetable Synth is there by default.

So here is a fix for you blackgnuzu that I have tested on LE5:

Open Cubase then go to: File>Preferences...>MIDI>MIDI File. Uncheck 'Import To Instrument Track'.

Now when you Import a MIDI file it will pull up the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as default instrument and play audio from the MIDI file.

I downloaded a GNR MIDI file and opened it in LE5 on my office computer. Wow that Wavetable Synth sounds silly... For some reason the Wavetable sounds on my recording PC sounded much better/different instruments. Not sure how all that works but obviously the synth is different on each PC. Only difference in OS is that the office PC is W7 Home and the other W7 Pro.

Anyway, have fun!
Today I loaded up a copy of LE5 I got with a Tascam US1800 interface years ago. I spent about an hour searching Cubase forums and elsewhere to try and figure out why MIDI files wouldn't play through the GS Wavetable synth. Your post was the fix!! :thumbs up:

Thanks!!! :):):)

Today I loaded up a copy of LE5 I got with a Tascam US1800 interface years ago. I spent about an hour searching Cubase forums and elsewhere to try and figure out why MIDI files wouldn't play through the GS Wavetable synth. Your post was the fix!! :thumbs up:

Thanks!!! :):):)

Nice man! I used to have smartnesness. lol!

Not sure what happened...

Been AGES since I messed with Cubase but, there is a box (of 'king many!) iirc called "activate MIDI Thru'" ? Tick it.

Dave.

Back