*newbie* Cubase 7:How to include external instruments in audio mixdown?

mminarik

Hi there,
I can't get my external instruments exported into the audio mixdown :(

I have a lot of external MIDI hardware that I managed to setup as external instruments in Cubase 7.5. Everything is working nicely and I have a project made of a combination of (i) VST instruments (e.g. Cubase HALion sonic) and (ii) my external instruments (e.g. KORG Triton Rack module). When I do audio mixdown (in realtime), all internal VSTs are there, but none of the external instruments are :(

I searched through the Cubase documentation, various user forums as well as online tutorials. Everywhere they say that in order to have MIDI included in an audio mixdown all MIDI tracks have first to be exported (recorded) as audio tracks. That makes sense and is done simply by adding an audio track for every MIDI track and for each routing the audio from that MIDI hardware to that audio track. BUT, since I use instrument tracks (not MIDI tracks), there is no way to add an additional audio for that instrument since the instrument tracks are supposed to already include the audio and so the audio input bus is taken by the external instrument definition in the VST connections and can not be selected as input routing for the audio track :(

I know it should be something very simple. I really like the concept of external MIDI instruments working as VST instruments in Cubase, it took me quite some time to get MIDI definitions (patchname scripts) for all my existing MIDI hardware, but not being able to create the mixdown of my project is really driving me crazy. Any advise will really be appreciated ...

The easiest way would be to record the external instruments as audio, then just mix.

I suppose you could try to set up an external effects loop and just use the return for the out of the box instruments.

If you've got a given external instrument assigned to multiple MIDI tracks, it's best to play each individual MIDI track through the instrument and record the audio output in the DAW, one track at a time, so you end up with separate audio tracks for the separate MIDI tracks.

In other words, keep in mind that while the instrument can simultaneously output separate MIDI channels for each timbre, it can't output separate audio channels for each timbre, just two audio channels-- left and right-- with all of the timbres mixed together. To get a separate audio track for each MIDI track, you need to record it by itself.

Thank you, however, recording external instruments as audio is what I am apparently not able to do. I cannot set a proper routing for a new audio track since the ins from my external hardware are not available (they are used by the external instrument definition). :-/

I will look into the external effects loop, though. Thanks!

The easiest way would be to record the external instruments as audio, then just mix.

I suppose you could try to set up an external effects loop and just use the return for the out of the box instruments.

Thanks as well, but here again, I am unable to record external instruments as audio since the VST connection definition for the external instruments blocks the audio inputs so they cannot be set in the new audio track routing ... (I clearly must be doing something wrong here ... )

If you've got a given external instrument assigned to multiple MIDI tracks, it's best to play each individual MIDI track through the instrument and record the audio output in the DAW, one track at a time, so you end up with separate audio tracks for the separate MIDI tracks.

In other words, keep in mind that while the instrument can simultaneously output separate MIDI channels for each timbre, it can't output separate audio channels for each timbre, just two audio channels-- left and right-- with all of the timbres mixed together. To get a separate audio track for each MIDI track, you need to record it by itself.

I know how you can do this, I get out of work in 3 hours. I'll type up the steps then, you just need to create some buses that aren't attached to any hardware in cubase and route things internally. Should be able to record all of your externals at once this way as well.

That would be golden, internal routing is what was mentioned numerous times when I was looking for a solution, but wasn't able to get any detailed instructions. May I ask for the steps? Thanks!

I know how you can do this, I get out of work in 3 hours. I'll type up the steps then, you just need to create some buses that aren't attached to any hardware in cubase and route things internally. Should be able to record all of your externals at once this way as well.

Back