New SSD causing dropouts?

munsterman

Today I installed a new SSD as my C drive. Cloned everything from the old drive and everything is working fine, except for Cubase (5). When I load up and play any project that worked fine previously, I get intermittent dropouts of 1 or 2 seconds all the way through (every 15 seconds or so). It sounds/acts exactly like it's being muted and unmuted. No freezing, no cracks or pops, no ASIO spikes. Sounds like an annoying engineer is playing with the mute.

I tried the Latency Checker and it never goes above 470, doesn't change noticeably when the sound cuts out. I tried increasing the buffer size anyway, no change. Rebooted several times. It appears all the settings are the same as on the other drive. I hooked the old spinner C drive back up and the tracks played fine again, no problems at all. So I have to assume it has something to do with the new SSD drive, which doesn't really seem to make sense, since it's supposed to be 15 times faster than a spinner. Any ideas?? p.s. Cubase is installed on another hard drive, not either of the C drives. Sound is RME Fireface 800 with updated drivers, has always performed flawlessly.

a quick google pulls up this

Consider the following scenario:
  • You have a computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7.
  • You connect a full-speed USB audio device to a high-speed hub, and then connect this hub to the root hub of a USB 2.0 EHCI host controller on the computer, OR you connect a high speed USB 2.0 audio device directly to the root hub of a USB 2.0 EHCI host controller on the computer.
  • You start an audio playback or recording program, such as Sound Recorder. This program opens the USB audio device.
In this scenario, you notice that there is high CPU usage approximately every 15 seconds on the computer. Additionally, you may experience skipping in audio playback from the audio device when overall CPU usage reaches 100%.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/981214

just a stab in the dark .. but im wondering if its a disk cache/low memory situation .. will keep an eye on this thread to see how you fix it :)

Oh man, I got excited about the Steinberg article detailing other SSD users having the same problem. Checked everything--BIOS is indeed set up for AHCI, partition alignment is correct. Also went through all the (exhaustive) suggestions on thessdreview site linked from that article. Rebooted. Dang it, very disappointed that the problem persists. Arghhhhhhhhh. Barring any more ideas, I'll probably exchange for a different brand SSD and try that, may be some other kind of compatibility issue?

bugger i really thought we were onto a winner there :( ...

since its already a clone and you already have that backup and with the speeds of ssd`s id try installing a fresh windows,bung cubase on with audio drivers and test that ... shouldn't take much more than an hour to do, a lot quicker than browsing the net for solutions ... if that cures it then maybe try exporting your settings using windows backup from your old drive and restoring them to your new O/S

might seem like a ballache but you`ll be up and running in no time,plus you`ll still have the backups of the old O/S to fall back on ... who knows the next guy that posts might know exactly what to do :)

Dude thank you for all the awesome and helpful suggestions, but I'm giving up and returning the SSD. Especially after seeing on the Steinberg site that this is a known problem and even their suggestions didn't fix it. Hopefully somewhere down the road they'll get it figured out and I'll try again, but for now--I'm out. If nothing else, hopefully this thread will be helpful to others coming across the same situation.

Dude thank you for all the awesome and helpful suggestions, but I'm giving up and returning the SSD. Especially after seeing on the Steinberg site that this is a known problem and even their suggestions didn't fix it. Hopefully somewhere down the road they'll get it figured out and I'll try again, but for now--I'm out. If nothing else, hopefully this thread will be helpful to others coming across the same situation.

For about the same money, you could always try a 10,000 RPM HD. But really you shouldn't be having issues due to an SSD.

I am assuming Windows here. I don't have Steinberg, but after cloning my HD to an SSD, (I used a freeware software and it wasn't up to speed), I cleaned the registry (CCleaner), turned off VM on the SSD then did a scandisk on the SSD to fix any issues cloned to the new drive. Once I completed that, system stabilized.

Here is another option, uninstall the drivers to the interface, delete the folder/directory where it installs, making sure nothing is left over. Run CCleaner to make sure everything from the uninstall is clean. Reboot, install the drivers to the interface again.

I would think the issue is more with the interface than the DAW.

Back