need help with click tracks

The set up is pretty straight forward, two measures of pre roll and off we go. It goes down perfect, no racks, no presets, just a mic, a guitar and that is it. When you play it back, the recording is about 1/2 a measure early. I have been recording most of my life, analog for most of it but if I were to put this in analog terms it would be as if you were monitoring off the playback head while recording on the recording head on a different track. So this isn't a small issue that could be explained by anticipating the downbeats. I imagine when I solve this it is going to be something simple and I know Cubase isn't suspect as the older version I have on another computer (Cubase 5) works perfectly.

Yes, I know it isn't Cubase. It is me. I have something set wrong.

Jay...I understand what you are saying. I have seen it too, people playing ahead of the beat and when working as a Bassist it would drive me crazy. But that isn't it, I have always been one of those musicians noted for solid timing. And I am a robot when I am playing the bass. LOL. But like I say, this isn't a glitch in timing, I have obviously got something set wrong.

I assume when you say prerool, you are just starting playing on the 1 of the 3rd measure in the session. There is a precount in cubase that will start counting before the first measure of the session. Perhaps you have that turned on and set to 2 counts, accidentally. It should be under transport, down by where the metronome setup is.

I assume when you say prerool, you are just starting playing on the 1 of the 3rd measure in the session. There is a precount in cubase that will start counting before the first measure of the session. Perhaps you have that turned on and set to 2 counts, accidentally. It should be under transport, down by where the metronome setup is.

I will take a look at the metronome setup next time I get a chance. Should I just stop using the pre-roll altogether? But I am using the precount you are talking about before the first measure. Do you think that might be the issue? I am open to any suggestions. It does take a four count as I am actually coming in on the up beat before 1 in the second measure of the track, not the precount.

When I generate real drum clicks, the pre-roll is pointless, so I just start the music at bar 2. I've not had any timing problems on cubase 5 through 8.

I don't ever use the pre count. My songs just always start on bar 3. I've also never had this problem.

I don't ever use the pre count. My songs just always start on bar 3. I've also never had this problem.

Cancelled out pre-roll and pre-count and everything seems to be back in sync. It took slowing things down to a crawl and playing along with it on a bass to prove to my partner in crime in Nashville there was a problem. Next is the latency issues. I have a particular issue with latency as I have some pretty severe Tinnitus problems including some pops and crackles along with the ringing in the ears. The tone is one is about one half a step higher than the other ear so I have to get past that and latency really does a number on me. The old Lexicon Lambda with its USB 1 connection is going to have to be replaced I think.

I can live with some latency but I hear the head noise first and foremost. I can't be trusted to master anything anymore because of my high frequency hearing loss. This is going to be challenging for me. But it is great to get back to writing music after a long absence from it.

Yeah, put a midi stick click at each 1/4 note in a measure. Make sure the first beat is 127 and the others are like 90 (do one measure and paste through the whole song. Then bounce (or render or whatever your DAW calls it) to audio. :)
You can do that. But personally, I like to record the DAW's actual click track by simply running a cable from the OUTPUT to the INPUT of my audio device and hitting record. I also put little cues in, like bells or whistles, to indicate time changes or builds.

Back