Multi channel midi recording Cubase SL2

Robertkousbroek

All,

I'm using cubase SL2.1 I know it's old, but I use it only for hobby.
Now I want to record multiple midi channels at once.
So track1 should record midi channel1 on midi device M4U Miditerminal MDI INPUT PORT 1
track2 should record midi channel2 on midi device M4U Miditerminal MIDI INPUT PORT 1
track3 should record midi channel3 on midi device M4U Miditerminal MIDI INPUT PORT 1
etc.

How do I configure this in Cubase SL 2.1??
Currently all tracks records from all the midi channels, but I want to have it separately.
Choosing midi outputs channels is no problem, but how to set each track to receive on different midi channel?

Many thanks in advance for the tip

Regards,
Robert

This drove me crazy about Cubase, too. I'm not sure how to set each track the way you're asking; I'll have to go check Cubase later to see, and I can't be sure it will be the same on your older version.

However, probably the easiest thing to do would be to just record all 16 channels of a given MIDI port to one track, which is how Cubase wants to do it. This is equivalent to a "format 0" MIDI file, in which all 16 channels are contained in a single "MTrk" chunk. Then, after you've recorded to a single track that way, you can use a function to split all the MIDI data to separate tracks based on the MIDI channels; I forget what it's called-- dissolve? I'll have to look it up later. Anyway, it's equivalent to converting a MIDI file from "format 0" to "format 1."

Okay, the function to separate a multi-channel MIDI track into individual tracks, one channel per track, is called "Dissolve Part."

You can also dissolve a MIDI track based on other criteria, such as note values, which can be useful when working with kit voices (drum kits, sound effects kits, etc.) where each note plays a specific type of sound.

As for setting up a single MIDI track to record a single MIDI channel, I think you need to add the MIDI effects option to the track, then use the MIDI effects to filter out the events you don't want-- in this case, any events for the channels you don't want.

Obviously, it will be a pain to set up 16 tracks for the same MIDI port, then add the MIDI effects to each track, then set up the MIDI filtering options on each track. It would be far less painful to just record all 16 channels of the MIDI port to a single track, then dissolve that track into 16 separate tracks if desired. But even if you leave all 16 channels as a single track, each channel should still have its own sound, specified by the Bank Select and Program Change messages for each channel; and I think you can have separate automation lanes for each channel. In other words, the fact that all 16 channels are contained within one track isn't as problematic as you might expect.

On the other hand, if you absolutely need just one channel per track, you can do that, too.

Back