Monitoring and mixing down LIVE (NOT "Export Mixdown")...cannot do with new soundcard

soularflair

Monitoring and mixing down LIVE (NOT "Export Mixdown")...cannot do with new soundcard

Hello all.

I use Cubase 5.5.3. I've recently switched to a new soundcard, a Native Instruments "AUDIO 6".
I used to use an RME Fireface 400 but changed because I needed something I could also use when out DJing.
With my previous soundcard, I was able to mixdown previously recorded parts, LIVE, and see the levels in my live monitoring channel. For some unknown reason, I cannot do this anymore. If I record enable the channel I want to record to, I see no levels whatsoever.
I can, of course, still do an "Export Audio Mixdown", but that is not what I want all the time. I absolutely need to have the option to monitor and mix LIVE, when I choose to.
I can't figure out what's changed with the new soundcard. I have contacted Native Instruments and they have been zero help and say it's some setting within Cubase.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

I am not sure I understand your question.

1) there is a button like a speaker on the channel. Push it and see if that lets you hear what is coming in like you want it.

2) there is a free plug in called TAPEIT. get it and try it.

Regarding the "speaker" button...yes, that's what I meant when I say I record enable the channel. I cannot see any level in the record enabled track when it is playing live.
I never needed a plugin to do this before, I shouldn't now. There must be something else 'm missing.

Regarding the "speaker" button...yes, that's what I meant when I say I record enable the channel. I cannot see any level in the record enabled track when it is playing live.
I never needed a plugin to do this before, I shouldn't now. There must be something else 'm missing.

In my channel there are two different buttons to record enable the channel.

1) the bottom button (channel arm or record enable) toggles red when selected.
2) the button with a speaker in it right above the red one at the bottom

Selecting the speaker button lets me see and hear the sound (with latency) coming into the track from the input channel.

I hope this helps.

I think you still misunderstand what I'm asking... I have nothing coming through the input channel... These channels are already recorded.
In the past when I was live mixing down ALREADY RECORDED channels, I could see the levels on a record enabled track, but now I cannot.

I'm not sure if Cubase does this as well, but in Reaper if a track is in Record Enable mode, I don't get any metering for it. I have to disarm the track, then I see the track's meter dancing along with the sound.

I am also confused as to what it is you wish to achieve.

Please elaborate on what it is you need. I will help if I can.

The soundcard should not change how Cubase works. Unless you were using separate DSP software included with the interface.

To manipulate (do 'mix moves) in the DAW in real time- while recording it to a new track?
That could be pretty cool actually -live, each time a bit unique, like we used to do on a mix desk to a two track.
This should be doable- although I'm not sure how w/o poking around some (in Sonar here..
Was RME's Total Mix involved previously?

Ah, I think I. Is understood, I couldn't work out why you wanted to record enable a playback track. I suspect it's simply routing. Cubase 5 was where it started getting clever. In the inspector, what input are you selecting? If I wanted to record the mixes in this way, I'd probably create two new output busses, so my monitors would work as usual, but then route the second output back to an input. This channel then wouldn't have its speaker turned on in the channel panel, or it will take off. It's a while since I had 5, but I'd still do it this way now, but over the years the panels have moved around a little. Creating new busses for outputs works fine. I'm wondering if maybe your new card doesn't have the internal structure to allow this routing? I'll give it a try if I get a few minutes spare during the day.

Back