Midi and virtual instruments...please help!

copperandstars

Hello there,

I am lost on this midi stuff. I also posted this thread in the midi section because it applies to both. Here is my situation:

I use Cubase SX for recording audio. I have never goofed around with anything else, until today. I clicked some things and brought up a virtual synth. I was quite amused...there was a little mini keyboard and I could click the tiny keys with my mouse and get cool sounds. I could even select different sounds...hundreds of them.

I have known about midi for a while but I do not quite understand it. Here is what I would like to accomplish: I would like to be able to play the softwear vst instrument in Cubase SX with a real keyboard. I have been looking around at these, I guess they are called midi controllers? Then I would like to be able to record what I play on the keyboard through the synth onto a track in SX, and mix them with my audio trakcs. I have no clue how to do this...I have looked through both the html and actually manuals with no luck.

Can someone please explain to me this process? Any help is extremely appreciated.

Ryan

1) Buy your midi controller and set it up with Cubase
2) Select a virtual instrument.
3) Select your midi controller as the midi in
4) Select the vsti as the midi out
5) Play

Btw.....what is an "actually" manual?

Thanks for the help. An "actually" manual is actually an actual (ah!) manual. As in the one that came with the program. Sorry about that...

Back