MIDI records two inputs when only one is selected?

Maru1926

I keep getting this issue sometimes when I record MIDI in cubase I can hear that it's detecting two inputs when I play it back and when I record if I delete a note there is another note right under it.

This is what I have selected in inputs.

Kk0jq3B.png

I have only one thing plugged into my 18i8 which is the MIDI out of my keyboard.

Please help!

Last edited:
If it doesn't happen all the time, it could be that you're turning on the dual or layered feature of your keyboard, such that the same notes are being transmitted and recorded on two different MIDI channels at the same time. Cubase normally displays all 16 channels of a MIDI port on the same MIDI track, although each channel event (Note On/Off, Pitch Bend, Program Change, Bank Select, and other CC events) still maintain their separate channel numbers within the MIDI track. There's a "dissolve" function that lets you separate all the channel events to separate tracks if you prefer, so what you might want to do the next time this happens is use the dissolve function and see if the duplicated notes get moved to a track of their own. Not only would this confirm that you're transmitting the notes on two channels simultaneously (two zones layered together, or dual voices, whatever your keyboard or controller calls it), but it would also make it easier to delete all of the duplicate notes and other channel events by deleting the second track.

If it doesn't happen all the time, it could be that you're turning on the dual or layered feature of your keyboard, such that the same notes are being transmitted and recorded on two different MIDI channels at the same time. Cubase normally displays all 16 channels of a MIDI port on the same MIDI track, although each channel event (Note On/Off, Pitch Bend, Program Change, Bank Select, and other CC events) still maintain their separate channel numbers within the MIDI track. There's a "dissolve" function that lets you separate all the channel events to separate tracks if you prefer, so what you might want to do the next time this happens is use the dissolve function and see if the duplicated notes get moved to a track of their own. Not only would this confirm that you're transmitting the notes on two channels simultaneously (two zones layered together, or dual voices, whatever your keyboard or controller calls it), but it would also make it easier to delete all of the duplicate notes and other channel events by deleting the second track.

Oh my god!! You genius! I can't believe the layer feature on my board was doing it!!

I was able to hear it immediately just with switching layer on and off. Amazing. I cannot thank you enough, you have saved me from going crazy!

It was an easy thing to miss. :) If the MIDI channels had been going to their own separate MIDI tracks then you would have been able to spot it right away. But the way Cubase combines all 16 channels into one track makes it much less obvious.

Back