MIDI latency in Cubase 4

_sir_les_

Hello

I recently posted a thread about Cubase 4 not recording MIDI notes (thanks for the reply DintyMoore!) - which is now working - as it was once a while ago. And now that works again I have my old problem (along with half the population of Cubase messageboards it seems) of MIDI latency. Previously, this was intermittent i.e. sometimes I'd fire it up and everything would be fine - other times there'd be latency - but maybe I just haven't got lucky on start up to recreate whatever conditions they were yet.

I've seen countless articles about ignoreportfiler, enableemulated, Windows timestamp etc but no matter what I try, the MIDI note events don't get to Cubase for an unplayable amount of time.

I'm using Cubase 4 on an XP machine with an Alesis i02 USB soundcard although I'm using a separate USB MIDI in as the MIDI input on the Alesis does nothing. I've also just removed all drivers/software along with the hardware for the SB whatever-it-was card that was in my machine. Also, I'm using the Alesis ASIO driver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS how hard is it, given that it's a bit of software that can record and playback multiple audio streams, with multiple real time effects, to parse a stream of 8 bit data in reasonable time for freak's sake?

Let me get this straight: you have a track set up to play a softsynth, and when you press a key on your keyboard controller there's a delay before the note sounds on the softsynth? Is that what you mean?

I do not use softsynths except for my kick drum, which I use Steven Slate drums for. I have always found softsynths latency too great to use them. It could be because I have never had a cutting edge computer.

I know that's not encouraging, but my understanding is that some people have used them without the delay.

If you are registered user I'd contact Steinberg and ask them to set up a phone meeting.

Last edited:
here's what I'm attempting to do:

I have Roland V Drums connected via a USB MIDI in, recording on a MIDI track which is directed into Jamstix 2 VSTi. The MIDI notes make it to Jamstix (i.e. the drums sound) - it's just a bit late.

I've got a half decent PC so I wouldn't have thought it was that (it's never fallen over even when I've got carried away with multiple audio tracks) and, bizarrely, sometimes (not very often) there is no MIDI latency (wish I knew the conditions for that!).

I've thought of a workaround: monitor the audio out on the V Drums, but record the MIDI; once the track is finalised, move the MIDI events to where they should be and then all should be fine.

As you suggest, I'm thinking call Steinberg too - I was hoping I'd missed something obvious and someone would say "err, you idiot, just disable this driver, move this file here etc, etc" but, the more I look into it, the more I realise that there's almost as many different configurations of Cubase in the world as there are installations.

Thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciated

Fixed it!

I just updated the Alesis driver (downloaded ASIO4All from the Alesis site). The moral of this story is, update yer drivers kids!

hello
I've thought of a workaround: monitor the audio out on the V Drums,and i am satisfied with it thanks.

This is excellent! I know we hugely benefit from ppl writing proper documentation.

I just want to add a few notes.

Back