Midi Crescendo | CC7 not working on Elements 8

sergeidave

Hi guys,

Anyone with experience with Cubase Elements 8?
Is there a restriction on Cubase Elements 8 that prevents me from being able to use CC7 controller to create some single-note crescendos?
I found another thread in the Steinberg forum and some videos that explain exactly how I can open the midi editor, choose the CC7 (volume) or CC11(expression) controllers and just either use the pencil tool or draw a line to create my crescendo edits. I can totally do that, but when I play those notes back, I hear no change at all! The crescendo I'm after is nowhere to be seen. Yet, on the same open editor I select the Velocity controller and I can do any edits and I can hear those when I play it back. What am I missing, guys?

I posted my question on the Steinberg site, but they still need to approve the post and stuff, so I don't know when I will get a reply in that forum.

I appreciate your help greatly!
Again, I'm using Cubase Elements 8.

Thank you!
David

It works for me in Cubase Elements 8, so I'm not sure what you might be doing wrong. Can you post a screenshot showing the track in the key editor with the automation lane visible so I see what you're doing?

Here's a screenshot of what I drew with the line tool. I've also tried the pencil tool and the line tool.
When I rewind and hit Play, I hear the notes, but I only hear them with their velocity values, I don't hear any crescendo or diminuendo taking effect from the lines I drew, for some reason.
Cubase_cc7.jpg

Well, that looks correct to me. So now I'm wondering what the MIDI output on the track looks like-- i.e., what virtual instrument is it assigned to, or what hardware instrument? I see it says "Violins," but I'm not sure if that's a patch name on an external sound module/synth, or a virtual instrument. Does the instrument support the use of CC7?

I'm using the violins section of EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition. I will do some digging around to see if that library has any known issues around using CC7.
But in any case, it looks like Volume automation actually works... so, I might just end up doing my crescendos with Volume automation on the tracks I need...

Thank you very much for taking a look, SeaGtGruff!! I appreciate it.

Back