Metronome adjustment

timtimtim

I'm using Cubase LE. Is it possible to fine-adjust the metronome? As far as I can see you can only change the time in multiples of 2. I need to adjust the beat very finely to match a piece of music already recorded, which means the beats will not synchronise with the time markings on the timeline. How can I do this?

I found that by changing the first number in the count base box I can adjust the timing over a wide range, but I still can't get enough accuracy. So 11/16 is slightly too slow, and 10/16 is slightly too fast - I need 10.5/16 (is that 21/32?). How do I achieve this accuracy?

If I understand correctly your adjusting the tempo right? If so you should be able to set the tempo to three decimal places.

I tried changing the tempo track and it completely messes up the timeline so all the recordings are all jumbled up and overlapping and disorganised

I think you only need a tempo track if the tempo changes. I could be wrong but I've never used a tempo track.

Try dumping the tempo track and just change the tempo in the transport window.

that's the point. I can't use the metronome setup in the transport window because I can't set it with enough accuracy. To adjust the tempo track would probably be the perfect solution if it didn't mess up all the tracks. If I could somehow bounce all that I've recorded together so it can't be jumbled up that would be fine, but I don't know how to bounce it all together because it is on lots of different tracks which can't be put onto one track before bouncing because the tracks overlap and I'd lose bits.

I found that by changing the first number in the count base box I can adjust the timing over a wide range, but I still can't get enough accuracy. So 11/16 is slightly too slow, and 10/16 is slightly too fast - I need 10.5/16 (is that 21/32?). How do I achieve this accuracy?

If you want to change the tempo, you should not be changing those values. They're for beats per measure, etc, not tempo.

that's the point. I can't use the metronome setup in the transport window because I can't set it with enough accuracy.

I don't get this, the tempo goes to three decimal places like Tetra said. that's pretty accurate.

Perhaps a screenshot is in order so we can understand what you're referring to.

peace,

ahhhhh! Now I know what your talking about. Each track has what they call a "timebase" which can be "musical" or "linear". If you want to change tempo without reorganizing the audio events just change the timebase to linear. Change this for each track, reset your metronome to 4/4 and then change the tempo 'till the cows come home.

In Cubase 5 it's a button that either looks like a clock (linear) or a note (musical).

Attachments

• track.png
    track.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 22
I know I'm an idiot but I don't know how to put up a screenshot. I've got round the problem now by exporting all I've recorded then re-importing it as one track so it can't be disorganised by changing the tempo. Just for the record how do you put up a screenshot?

Damn, It looks like you right Cubase LE does not have the option to toggle the timebase, it seams to be locked in to musical. I have an old copy of LE 4 and tried and can't for the life of me figure this out.

The only solution I can think of is to export a mixdown of your project being careful to use the same sample rate and bit depth your existing files are. Then start a new project and import that mixdown into your new project as a single stereo track.

Also, I think when you use bounce it creates an audio file in the audio directory, check that and you may find the files you thought you where creating in the other thread. I think it does an audio file for each track. So another option may be to start a new project and import those files into it.

I know I'm an idiot but I don't know how to put up a screenshot. I've got round the problem now by exporting all I've recorded then re-importing it as one track so it can't be disorganised by changing the tempo. Just for the record how do you put up a screenshot?

Maybe Cubase LE doesn't give you the option to import a mixdown back into the project.

Posting an image is fairly simple. Well, at least with windows, I don't know anything about Macs.

1) Press Alt-PrintScreen to copy only the Active Window (verses the whole screen).

2)Copy or Paste to your favorite image editor, crop and resize to taste. I like to make mine less than 800 pixels wide so it doesn't mess up the formating of the threads in the forums. Make sure the file size is less than 64KB when you save it. That is the file size limit for attachments.

3) Then click on the paper clip icon in the Message: dialog box when making a post. Follow the instructions for uploading an image.

You can also host your image somewhere else, like Flickr, then use the Image icon to post your image. This is useful if your image can't be sized under 64KB.

Here's a sample screenshot.

Attachments

• PostingScreenshot.jpg
    PostingScreenshot.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 17
I can only adjust mine with a very small jeweler's screwdriver. It's very awkward to get to and it might be better to take it to a shop. :)

Thanks to all for your help. As it happens I've now decided I don't want a metronome at all, it makes it all too laboured sounding and not free and subtle. You never know with music! Thanks again

Just a suggestion since it's free.

You can upgrade to LE v.4

It's not capped at 2 inserts like v.1 was. There are other things that are nice about the upgrade (VST3 plugs and new IMO better stock plugins).

Back