"Loading Channel: Stereo" error crash!

Robertt8

Cubase 9: Getting "Loading Channel: Stereo" error crash

Anybody know what's happening here?

I'm trying to load a song from about a year ago and I keep getting this warning...

Loading Channel: Stereo

Then it opens a "Finder" window for me to find...well...whatever the hell "Loading Channel: Stereo" is. When I can't find it, it asked me one more time, then the whole Cubase crashes. Any clue what's happening here?

I've tried to look this up on Google and am surprised to see no real info.

It's warning exactly what I said... says "Loading Channel: Stereo" then pops up a search window for me to locate. I dug around but it made no sense.

It's warning exactly what I said... says "Loading Channel: Stereo" then pops up a search window for me to locate. I dug around but it made no sense.

That is why I asked. Your previous project had a file saved in a location that does not exist. In other words, you had a file that was in a location that you either deleted or moved. This can happen man.

Best would be to open the original file in previous version of Cubase. Then do a 'Backup Project' to a new folder. Then import to Cubase 9.

Hopefully that works.

For future projects, make sure you create a new folder for each project so this does not happen again. There is a prompt for designating project folder each time you start a new one. Make sure you select a new folder and not the default 'Cubase Projects' one. It has messed me up many times in he past...

I actually do everything you just suggested. I keep it all nice and neat. Doesn't seem to help in this case

I actually do everything you just suggested. I keep it all nice and neat. Doesn't seem to help in this case

Well no offense, but obviously that isn't true for this project if Cubase is looking for a file that doesn't exist.

Try to look for 'bak' files or so a search for the missing file. Do you know what the file is that is missing? I remember once I downloaded a track from another PC and put it on a flash drive. I accidentally didn't import it to project and once the flash drive was gone, the file no longer existed.

Nope! This is literally all it says and opens a window so I can find said mystery file

Then you have a mystery file. Either find it or give up and re-record it.

Sorry man but it is likely because you deleted something that was initially there. Cubase knows where it's files are. It is user error that loses or relocates them. Not trying to be a dick but it not the fault of Cubase man.

When you open a session, if you watch, it will say "opening (stereo channel, group channel, effects channel, etc...)" as it goes through and opens all the channels. If it chokes on one, it will stick on "opening (whatever channel it choked on)"

The only time this happened to me was when I opened something old and it choked on a corrupt plugin. Luckily, I knew which plugin it was and deleted it. Then it just came up as missing, but opened.

This is another argument for bouncing all the tracks to a single file that starts at zero, and mixing out stems for archive. Too many times I've tried to open up older sessions and it went bad. Between version upgrades and unsupported plugins, opening an old session and having it be intact isn't very likely,

Does it tell you the name of the mystery file?

Do a search for it (including the recycle bin) and point the window to it when you find it.

This is another argument for bouncing all the tracks to a single file that starts at zero, and mixing out stems for archive. ,

Totally best practice.
But to the OP- are you pretty familiar with the project?
If I had this problem, and didn't have the old version of the DAW, I would start a NEW project, and rebuild it. I would import the audio files all in and see whats missing.

I think you certainly could be missing a PLUGIN or some other RESOURCE, and not an actual audio file... in which case your project would be complete.. minus any edits you didn't print...and minus mixing. But re-mixing is fun!

Let us know how it works out.

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was able to create a new project (as suggested) and import the desired tracks in.

I did that yesterday, but still ran into problems. This time, however I removed all plugins and so far, I seem to be doing fine. I was planning to change up the track considerably, so it isn't a huge issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions and knowledge.

Tait

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was able to create a new project (as suggested) and import the desired tracks in.

I did that yesterday, but still ran into problems. This time, however I removed all plugins and so far, I seem to be doing fine. I was planning to change up the track considerably, so it isn't a huge issue.

Thanks for all the suggestions and knowledge.

Tait

If you get that error again try opening up one of the previous .bak files. If it opens then save as and it will create a new .cpr file. Delete the old .cpr and any other .bak files and save. Has worked every time for me. I don't know why this happens but it will usually crash windows on my machine when it does.

If you get that error again try opening up one of the previous .bak files. If it opens then save as and it will create a new .cpr file. Delete the old .cpr and any other .bak files and save. Has worked every time for me. I don't know why this happens but it will usually crash windows on my machine when it does.
Thanks! Good tip...and yeah...it gave me two tries to locate the mystery files and then always crashed on my mac. no fun, but the new saved out versions appears ok. thanks!

Back