Infinite Piano Sustain Possibilities?

Tommy Tea

I am using Cubase 5.0 I have a Casio PX150 keyboard and a sustain pedal. I also am using a piano VST. I am trying to have a note or chord sustain infinitely at a steady volume without me having to press the keys again. I do not mind holding the sustain pedal with my foot I just do not want to have to keep hitting the keys to keep a steady volume. I am trying to practice my electric guitar over piano chords.

Is there some sort of plugin or setting I can use?

Thanks!

I don't think this is possible with a piano as most of them use recorded samples.

I could be wrong though, but I doubt it.

If Cubase will use old soundfonts, it's possible. A lot of them used a looped sample which could hold indefinitely. You'll have to shop around for them and see if Cubase can support them. Most were garbage sound, but if you can find a VST that can play them, I'll get you a copy of a few of the good ones (that were free)...PM me for a link.

HammerSound went down a few years ago, and a great archive was lost. lysator is still active (lysator.liu.se), but the last updates were in 2010...

I use Reason, and it supports them natively, but I know other DAWs do not. If Cubase does, more power to ya, otherwise see if you can find a usable Soundfont VST player.

how about creating a bar of the chord you want, then putting it onto a loop. That will play the chord continuously.

As long as the bar is short enough that the chord doesn't decay, that would work...or you could automate an attenuation to compensate.

using HALion, and the Patch "Piano MW Strings"- the notes will play at even volume as long as they are held down.

You could either do it live by holding the sustain pedal, or just draw in a super long MIDI note. Its synth-y kind of sound.. but w/e.

Looping a piano sample can sound "unnatural" because of the natural differences inherent in the harmonics of the attack, decay, sustain, and release portions of the sample; when the sample is looped to lengthen the sustain, you might be able to hear when the looping occurs.

The best suggestion would probably be to record the chord you want to sustain, as gecko zzed mentioned, but then zoom in on the sustain portion of the sound wave to find a section that you can copy and paste as many times as needed-- being careful to get a full cycle of the wave that includes all the resonant harmonics-- or else try selecting the section you want to lengthen and time-stretch it as desired.

Back