How to recording multi track for drum set with Mixer YAMAHA MG16XU 16-Input 6-Bus !!!

Maximusmusic

Hi, I've installed a driver for this Mixer in order to using with CUBASE, and it connected & worked sucessfully. The CUBASE has supported only 2 ways input number 1 & 2 for recording. But I want to do recording multi track in 8 ways for a Drum set (5 pieces & 2 overhead & 1 hihat).
Whether this Mixer only accepts 2 ways input recording to CUBASE or I did wrong somewhere?
Anyone can help me to open all of 8 lines recording on this kind of Mixer with CUBASE for a drum set?
(Mixer YAMAHA MG16XU 16-Input 6-Bus)
Thank you so much !!!

That mixer only has 2 channels in and 2 channels out usb. So that's all you get.

It may be a 16 channel mixer, but it is only a 2 channel interface. If you want to Multi track the drums, you will need an interface with enough inputs to do that.

That mixer only has 2 channels in and 2 channels out usb. So that's all you get.

It may be a 16 channel mixer, but it is only a 2 channel interface. If you want to Multi track the drums, you will need an interface with enough inputs to do that.

Thank you so much for your response !!! DO you know any kind of Mixer can do recording multitracks 8 lines for drum? Thanks advance

I really don't know, but it's my impression that the USB mixers all seem to be 2 channel interfaces.

You will need to look into interfaces with built in mic preamps and ditch the mixer idea.

Of course, I could be wrong, Google is your friend.

I really don't know, but it's my impression that the USB mixers all seem to be 2 channel interfaces.

You will need to look into interfaces with built in mic preamps and ditch the mixer idea.

Of course, I could be wrong, Google is your friend.

I've got the new Presonus StudioLive AR16, which is a mixer that allows each channel to be multitracked out over USB separately, and allows for 4 USB return channels. This is incredible for recording and mixing live, but there are drawbacks which I now find myself trying to work around. The Yamaha for instance has 4 Aux send and 4 Group out, which allows auxiliary routing into outboard processors like reverb and compression. The Yamaha also gives you on-board compression. The drawbacks are the stereo out over USB and no multitrack.

The StudioLive on the other hand gives a lot of PC/Mac routing options over USB, so the PC can be used to run plugins to process inputs and put back into the master mix, but you need a PC on stage for that. The only options to route to external processors are to send channel 1, 2 or the FX channel to a processor. The two Aux groups on the StudioLive are probably used for stage monitors, and the only way I can see to include them in the mix if you were to route line effects would be to bring them back to a stereo bus. If you do that, you're cutting down on monitors. Optionally, if FX aren't that important, the FX bus can be used as a mix monitor as well. So, while the multitrack is by far its biggest strength, being able to route to multiple processors is really limited in my opinion.

Where you can actually get away with it though with the StudioLive is to be able to multitrack into your DAW and then in software route to buses, run through software compressors or effects and send back to several different mix channels (1, 2, 3 or 4) and into the mix. But that means USB and the PC is involved, so you lose some real-time processing.

SO .. what people are saying is;
It might be that a mixer is not actually the best tool for this job.
If you wanna back up a little, maybe we can better advise you?

What are you trying to do?
Record drums alone in-studio? Live?

Back