how to get rid of unwanted audio files

jimistone

long standing member
I'm using an old version of cubase LE. When I record I may do multiple takes of guitar parts, vocals, drums, and so on. All these multiple takes and edits are stored in the "audio" folder. It dosen't take long for that folder to become massive. It's full of audio snippets that allow multiple levels of undo.

My question is this:
When you have a song where you want it, as far as the final tracks you want to mix, is there a way to permantly delete all the garbage in the Audio folder, tied to throwaway tracks....without having to go into the Audio folder and try and do it one file at a time (virtually impossible task)?

In other words can I delete every piece of audio associated with that song, aside from the current tracks I'm working with, in one action?

In Vegas Pro there's an option to remove unused files from the Project Media list. It doesn't delete them, but then I can do a "save as" to a new folder and check the "copy media" option. Open the new copy to make sure it's all there and working, then delete the folder with the original version.

Cubase provides an option to clean up folders of unused audio tracks. Cubase LE, being the free version, may not have that function. If Cubase LE has a clean up function, it will be under File>Clean Up...
If not, can you open the Media Pool? If so, you can see which tracks are used and which aren't, and you should see a way to delete the unused tracks.

Pretty sure LE has 'Backup Project'. That should give you option to remove unused files to the backup. This would be a completely new project folder and you can delete the original.

I highly recommend backup drives before trying however. Computers and software do some really screwed up shit sometimes...

I have 8 drives now just in case of....

Pretty sure LE has 'Backup Project'. That should give you option to remove unused files to the backup. This would be a completely new project folder and you can delete the original.

I highly recommend backup drives before trying however. Computers and software do some really screwed up shit sometimes...

I have 8 drives now just in case of....

Thanks Jimmy.
I also have reaper but have never used it. I can work quick with cubase LE. Learning a new DAW seems daunting....so I just stuck to what I already know.

But , I'm still learning cubase LE it seems.

Back