How do I setup Parallel Processing?

4tracker

Hey guys, how do I setup parallel processing in Cubase 5?

I tried sending Track 1's output to Track 2, but when I lowered the fader on track 1, track 2 went down as well. So basically they weren't independent of one another like I need. I want to be able to blend the two tracks -- one with clean signal and one with processing on it.

Detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you mean the fader of both channels moves down? Or does the sound of both lower, but only the fader of track 1 moves?

If the latter, you probably want to change the setting of the send to be pre-fader. I'm not sure exactly how to do that in Cubase 5 - Google can help.

If the former, maybe you have both channels selected or have set them in a group.

Yeah, just create a group track. Project>Add Track>Group Channel.

Then in the 'Edit Channel Settings Window' ('e' button) on the 1st track, use a 'Send' to the group channel on the upper right.

Faders and inserts will be independent.

:)

Do you mean the fader of both channels moves down? Or does the sound of both lower, but only the fader of track 1 moves?

If the latter, you probably want to change the setting of the send to be pre-fader. I'm not sure exactly how to do that in Cubase 5 - Google can help.

If the former, maybe you have both channels selected or have set them in a group.

The latter, so I will check the pre-fader and other recommendations now. Thanks.

This might be a dumb question, but what is the difference between adding the parallel/group track and adding effects to it vs simply copying/pasting the audio to a new track and putting your processing on the 2nd track? Is it a volume issue where the two get summed in the 2nd situation?

The latter, so I will check the pre-fader and other recommendations now. Thanks.

This might be a dumb question, but what is the difference between adding the parallel/group track and adding effects to it vs simply copying/pasting the audio to a new track and putting your processing on the 2nd track? Is it a volume issue where the two get summed in the 2nd situation?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think there's no difference, functionally, but if you change the audio, you have to copy and paste it again. If you want the same insert effects processing (and the send is post FX), then you have to have two instances of each effect; and if you make a change to any of the effects, you have to change it on both tracks (if you want the change to be doubled as well).

Back