How do I adjust buffer sizes in Cubase?

minerman

Tonetard
Hey all,
I am trying to record direct to Cubase LE4 with a Line 6 Guitar Port, but I have terrible pops & clicks when I do. I have adjusted the Line 6 driver settings as low as they will go, but it doesn't help. Any suggestions? My PC is about a year old, Windows Vista, AMD Athlon X2. Do I need to get another computer, or is it an issue with my Line 6 interface? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Did you install the ASIO Drivers?

I don't really know if them are included with the Line 6, but they are available for free on the web...

If you record direct from the line of the Line 6 you wouldn't have to change the Buffer size (normally), but if you insist, you have to go to the Control Panel, serch for your Audio Device and change it.

In my case, because I hace an M-Audio Audio interface, the control panel appears at the bottom of my screen. Probably you'll have something like that when you installed the Line6.

Hope this help.

Thanks zero,
I know this is another topic, but is the M-Audio inerface pretty good? Looking to but an AI, want the best bang for my bucks (around $200 budget).
I adusted the buffer size for the AISO driver in Cubase control panel, & it helped a lot. I still have some pops now & then, but nothing like it was. Thanks!!!

If you don't have one already, I'd suggest getting another hard drive just to record your audio to. They are pretty cheap these days and would more than likely take care of the pops and clicks.

It's not the hard drive. It sounds more like you have a digital clocking issue. How is the Line 6 connected to the Computer?

Thanks for the replies,
I did install the drivers, as far as using POD Farm as a standalone, it's great. It's when I try to record to Cubase that I get pops & clicks. I did find out how to adjust the buffers in Cubase & it helped a lot, but still popping & clicking.

NL5: The Guitar Port is connected with USB cable. I use the drivers installed with GP to monitor my audio with. Again, the pops aren't as bad as they were, but I'd really like to be able to get this issue fixed. Thanks!!!

Hi, try this...

Go to Devices --> Device Manager

It will pop up a new window and in the left side of the screen should say "VST Audiobay", click on it. Now at the right side of that same window, drop down to your Audio Device... It should say something like "Line6 Tone Port" or something like that.

Referring to the M-Audio question, to me it works perfect, it has nice Preamps, of course i'm comparing with other similar preamps, not a Tube preamp that cost 1000 or more. I have the Firewire 410 and for me it's greate.

Tell as how you're doing.

Thanks zero,
I adjusted the buffer size in Cubase last night (it was 2048 I think, to 512, that's the lowest I could get it to go) & lowered the buffer size in the Guitar Port control panel. I did help, but I still have pops & clicks now & again. I'm thinking it may just be that the GP is cheap, it only cost $99, so that's what I'm thinking. This is just a workaround for me, I have a POD X3Live, but it has the USB dropout issue. I can send it back to Line 6 & have it fixed, free. Today I ordered a Tascam US122 USB audio interface. I've read good reviews about it, so I took the plunge. If I don't like it, or have issues with it, I can always send it back. I was using a Zoom HD8 to record with, then dumping my tracks to Cubase. When I got the X3L, I thought I could just record direct to my PC, to save some time. It's been almost a month, but I'm slowly getting there Hopefully the Tascam will solve my problems. Thanks for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it!!! BTW, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions about all this recording, only been at it since Dec. of '08, so I'm still a newbie. Thanks again!!!!

That's confusing :confused: Generally you increase the buffer size if you're having problems because, to a certain extent, higher buffers put less load on the CPU. You use lower buffer sizes if your computer can handle it and you need lower latency, i.e. when tracking.

You hit the nail right on the head Matt, the whole reason for this post is so I can record with little or no latency. I knew how to adjust the Guitar Port driver settings, just couldn't figure out how to change the AISO settings in Cubase. I think I have it going my way now, recorded some more today, & the pops & clicks aren't nearly as bad as they were. Thanks to everybody for all your help!!!!

Back