HELP, accidentally merged midi performances

Harveyweewax

Well here's here's what yours truly in his moment of genius did.:mad:

Recorded a 3 hour live performance of bass keyboard and piano into midi but accidentally set the piano channel to all midi inputs so I have the bass merged into it. It's far too complex to pick out note by note but I'm wondering if there is a system by which I can get Cubase to delete both notes when it finds an EXACT DUPLICATE. (velocity, length and position.)

Can anyone help?

Undo won't do anything after project is saved/closed. Maybe there is a way to dissolve the parts. IDK, I'm not much of a MIDI guy.

Probably will have better luck in the Cubase forum. I'll move it for ya.

I forgot to mention that I have the bass keyboard midi channel recording which is fine
The concept of what needs to be done is very simple.
If event on bass keyboard channel is same note, position, length, velocity as event on piano channel then delete note on piano channel.

Undo won't do anything after project is saved/closed. Maybe there is a way to dissolve the parts. IDK, I'm not much of a MIDI guy.

Probably will have better luck in the Cubase forum. I'll move it for ya.

Yeah, I saw the thread being posted 10min ago, so thought CTRL-Z might help...

I forgot to mention that I have the bass keyboard midi channel recording which is fine
The concept of what needs to be done is very simple.
If event on bass keyboard channel is same note, position, length, velocity as event on piano channel then delete note on piano channel.

Ok, this is interesting.
Whilst recording the midi bass is coming from channel X and the piano from channel Y.
You accidentally set the piano to record from X+Y rather than just Y.

So...the question is once recorded, can midi notes be viewed or identified according to what channel they were recording from.
I've no idea. lol.

Just how complicated is this music? It sounds like the kind of thing where I'd just bit the bullet and do it manually.

Could you attach the merged midi file for me/us to take a look?

Last edited:
Might want to ask the question @ Steinberg.net forum, the way Steen worded it. Maybe there is a way to dissolve the parts by midi source. Again, I don't have a clue.

Well I can easily identify the notes I need to remove from the piano part by using the bass midi file as a template for finding the unwanted duplicated notes.
But it's 3 hours worth of playing so I'd rather not pick all the notes out one by one.
If I can find a routine that identifies all exactly duplicated midi notes....

Long shot but take a look at your 'export midi' options.
Most Daws give some export options for midi channels/tracks/parts etc.

If you're super lucky it'll know what's what.
If not, I guess you're stuck.

Last edited:
Back