Has anyone here run CUBASE on linux Ubuntu?

Manor Music

I just got myself three computers,,,they all have Linux Ubuntu

I was wondering if anyone uses Linux, and if so what recording software they recommend..and anyone who successfully got Cubase running on it please chime in.

cubase? it's good,but not much chance on linux. try JACK related apps. a hassle,but..

I just got myself three computers,,,they all have Linux Ubuntu

I was wondering if anyone uses Linux, and if so what recording software they recommend..and anyone who successfully got Cubase running on it please chime in.

i notice some people here giving cubase a hard time!
i've been using cubase for over ten years,and its fine.
and i know many professionalsd who use it very succesfully.
my favorite examplebeing the psychedelic techno act,eatstatic,who surpass most techno acts.they use it as a mastering device.

using it in linux platforms?well,the problem is most linux platforms arnt designed with music recoirding in mind. unless you can rebuild any of the laptops/pc's u have.
some folk might suggest a combination of wine/playonlinux which act as a virtual windows on your linux computer so you can run windows programs, but i find it pretty lousy. most things dont work well on it.
in fact,i find it really hard running most quality music production things on linux.
for the time being i just wouldnt bother, and keep a little , but good laptop running windows 7 to do my serious stuff on until you get a good set up,if possible,on one of your linux platforms.

i love the idea of being free from windows/mac, but i find i spend MORE time messing around trying to get things running than i do actually working on the things i like to do with linux (currently have ubuntu 14.04 installed).

there is a load of devices that come under the umbrella of "JACK" and they all can be connected together. they seem to all be very good in what they do. however,it's a nightmare getting them to doit.
and you may spend more time reading uup onthem to get them running than you spend recording.

keep at it,and do post in here and let us know how you get on and with what. and i'll do same.
yours,Un.

I've been using cubase since black and white on an Atari, and have learned to forgive those who slag it off. They know not what they're talking about. The truth is the thing is very complicated and in 30 years I still find new features that are not new at all! However, it's also quite complicated and has to be because of what it can do. I struggle with Logic, because I don't have time to learn it. It doesn't mean it's bad. I still have to google to find out how to do new things. On the 2nd wiziest PC I have ( the wiziest doing video duty) it's speeds along, with plenty enough capacity for lots of samplers. Crashes are just PC problems. The problems I had with dongles have gone on this PC, pointing to PC issues on the last one, not cubase. I tried to use it on my MacBook via parallels, and that is a no no. It runs but lags dreadfully.

The idea that something this complex could be run on an OS it wasn't designed for seems crazy. When I was a teacher, loads of people had cracked copies of cubase, but they were so unreliable, because the people who cracked them only tested them on the top level functions and screens. I'd tell the 18 year olds about small clever bits in drum quantising screens and the cracked ones would fall over instantly, because the crackers never tested those bits. Me, being mean always included this kind of thing in assessments to prevent those who could only work in college being outdone by those at home with dodgy copies!

Who was slagging it off? It has it's bugs and I deal with them.

I have been using Cubase for 14 years and it's still my main DAW. I love it, but that doesn't mean that I haven't noticed bugs across ALL operating systems that can be infuriating.

For one...haven't you ever experienced it just quitting unexpectedly after opening and closing a few projects? It seems to be a RAM flush issue they haven't been able to solve.

What about the "Severe Error Has Occurred" message? You telling me you've never gotten one?

What about opening projects from earlier versions of Cubase and having the ASIO driver crash or the program crash entirely?

What about presets vanishing with certain plugins or VSTi patches being lost?

What about VSTBridge just NOT wanting to work with 32-bit plugins in the 64-bit version?

These are all issues I've experienced across OS X and Windows, not to mention on my system and colleague's systems. I assure you, just like PT and Logic, Cubase is not 100% bug-free.

In any case, I still love it and use it daily as the workflow is great. It's what I know and I'll always use it. I just wouldn't have faith in porting it to Linux as it's just not a risk I'm willing to take.

Cheers :)

Back