FX while in record mode

Atkron205

I have Cubase 8 pro, I am trying to figure out how to hear an effect while recording a track, for example, I have an FX reverb track for vocal, I want to singer to be able to hear the effect while recording, I have the cue send on the FX track activated, which works well on playback but not while in record mode. I have searched the manual but cannot get it to work, not even sure if it will. Thanks:D

You are monitoring through Cubase right?

Are you using Control Room? If so I have never gotten around to or found reason to yet. Don't really need it the way I am setup. Sorry no help there man. :(

Effects and processing put into the input channel strip get recorded, so just put them into one of the channel strips in the normal way. I often have two channels set up, one that has the dpmr button on, which lets me hear it, while the other one is highlighted and where I record. That way you don't have to switch monitor on or off, I stick a bit of reverb on it too which the singers sometimes want.

You are monitoring through Cubase right?

Are you using Control Room? If so I have never gotten around to or found reason to yet. Don't really need it the way I am setup. Sorry no help there man. :(

yes I use control room, I have a set of speakers set up for playback and for monitoring when I run stuff direct. Thanks Jimmy!:D

Effects and processing put into the input channel strip get recorded, so just put them into one of the channel strips in the normal way. I often have two channels set up, one that has the dpmr button on, which lets me hear it, while the other one is highlighted and where I record. That way you don't have to switch monitor on or off, I stick a bit of reverb on it too which the singers sometimes want.

not sure what you mean, I have an FX track and a send from the track I want the FX on. The FX channels do not have the monitor button. Thanks!

Remind me what interface you are using and how you are setup for headphone monitoring. I'm not sure I understand.

Seems you can just monitor the vocals via the main out.

Remind me what interface you are using and how you are setup for headphone monitoring. I'm not sure I understand.

Seems you can just monitor the vocals via the main out.

UR 824, I have a headphone output buss set up, the outputs from the 824 are connected to a headphone amp, to monitor while recording I enable the monitor button on the track being recorded. monitoring the tracks is not an issue, I am trying to monitor an effect assigned to the track being recorded, say I have a FX track for vocal verb, I have a send from the vocal track to the FX track, I want the singer to be able to hear the effect while it is being recorded. Thanks!

That should work man! That is exactly what I do, though I do not use the Control Room. Must be something in there that is routed wrong or something.

Again sorry I can't help with that. I am curious what it is about Control Room that benefits you? I haven't found a need myself.

That should work man! That is exactly what I do, though I do not use the Control Room. Must be something in there that is routed wrong or something.

Again sorry I can't help with that. I am curious what it is about Control Room that benefits you? I haven't found a need myself.

I use the control room to control the master volume of the headphone cue buss, the volume of the tempo (click track) sent to the headphones, and I have a set of Bose speakers in the main room that I use for playback and I also use them as monitors when I record stuff direct (no hot mics in the room). the volume for these is controlled by the big red knob. :laughings: I also have a dedicated talkback channel that I use with the control room talkback button.:D

That's cool. Just a different way of achieving the same thing. Yours may likely be easier as I occasionally have to patch a cable or two. :)

I monitor the master out of Cubase out to a Mackie Big Knob (it's a big silver knob) that allows me to send to multiple monitors/PA system/headphone amp and it has a built in talkback mic. It also allows me to input from another PC. The HP60 headphone amp has stereo AUX in's if any member needs more of themselves. I just create an output bus and send them to the 824's outs then to the HP60 channel they are in. The drummer gets his own mixer and I can send him whatever he needs so he can't bitch at me to change things as we are tracking. lol

I never use the Cubase beep/boop click. I instead have pre-created click tracks made from drum VST's that I just import in.

I assume there must be a way to route FX channels to your cue mixes when needed. I'm sure you will figure it out man. :drunk:

yea, the cubase click does get on my nerves, but it's pretty easy to use and route. If I could only get the gospel group I'm working with to use it, I finally gave up. :facepalm:

What i mean is that you set up your fx track as usual, and then creature TWO (or more) tracks to record on. On the first, enable the speaker button, and add the fx as a send as usual. Do what you want with it as you won't record on it. Record as usual on the next track and don't bother to use it's spkr button.

Back