files from laptop to pc

jimistone

long standing member
I did some remote recording in my laptop and I want to add those files to a project on my pc. What is the best way to do that?
Both laptop and pc are loaded with cubase LE by the way.

I did some remote recording in my laptop and I want to add those files to a project on my pc. What is the best way to do that?
Both laptop and pc are loaded with cubase LE by the way.

Add files to an existing project or transfer some tracks to a new project?

If just adding some tracks, then don't bother with project folders. Just export the wav files and import them into the desktop project.

thanks jimmys69. Should I export them to a flash drive? I'm not knowledgeable about basic computer stuff like this. I loaded some tracks (that someone else remotely recorded) a while back and the tracks would only play when the files were on my desktop. I couldn't load them by exporting... I had to drag and drop them I think. I would just love to be able to have a project going in Cubase on my pc, copy it to cubase on my laptop and go out and record a keyboard or vocalist on my laptop....then load that back on my pc.

thanks jimmys69. Should I export them to a flash drive? I'm not knowledgeable about basic computer stuff like this. I loaded some tracks (that someone else remotely recorded) a while back and the tracks would only play when the files were on my desktop. I couldn't load them by exporting... I had to drag and drop them I think. I would just love to be able to have a project going in Cubase on my pc, copy it to cubase on my laptop and go out and record a keyboard or vocalist on my laptop....then load that back on my pc.

From what I understand you are wanting to do...

You have a project already in works on your PC (tempo and all the mixing and tracking goodness there). You wish to take that to a remote location and do some tracking with your laptop for the same project. Then bring those tracks back home to your desktop.

If that is indeed the case, then I would make it a more simple endeavor. Don't worry about transferring whole projects between your desktop and lappy. Just export a mix/backing track(s) from your desktop into an empty project on your laptop so that you are using minimal resources and have only what the artist needs to record to. Record the tracks you need on it. Then export those new recorded tracks from the laptop session to a flash drive and import them into the main project on your desktop. Record 24-bit and export wav files. Even a $10 8GB flash drive will do the trick.

Loading full projects back and forth between the laptop and desktop can get cumbersome and take more time and confusion than what I see as necessary for your needs. Keep it simple man. :)

Oh, and as to the tracks playing only while on your Desktop; you will need to drag/drop them into a project, 'Copy File to Working Directory' when prompted. The issue you may have had is that the audio from your desktop never actually was saved into the 'Pool' of the project you were working on. If you delete that file from your desktop without adding the track to the projects audio folder, it will give you an error 'missing files'. That sucks and it has happened more times than I would like to admit over the years.

Cubase if a finicky beeotch sometimes. For good reasons but it can piss us off when we don't understand how or why it saves things the way it does...She has made me angry many times...

Last edited:
If that is indeed the case, then I would make it a more simple endeavor. Don't worry about transferring whole projects between your desktop and lappy. Just export a mix/backing track from your desktop into an empty project on your laptop so that you are using minimal resources and have only what the artist needs to record to. Record the tracks you need on it. Then export those tracks from the laptop session to a flash drive and import them into the main project on your desktop. Record 24-bit and export wav files. Even a $10 8GB flash drive will do the trick.

Loading full projects back and forth between the laptop and desktop can get cumbersome and take more time and confusion than what I see as necessary for your needs. Keep it simple man. :)

Exactly what I was going to say.
When I have to track parts elsewhere I just export an mp3 of the track as a guide for the performer.
Then I only have to worry about importing the wavs which are recorded at the session. I don't intend to do any mixing during a tracking session so it's just raw wavs...Nice and simple.

If you think you might need some control over levels for your performer, export stems of drums, rhythm, bass, backing vocals (whatever) all starting at a common point. (00:00:00 is simplest).
Same deal - they're just a guide.

All that said, I can just copy and entire protools sessions back and forth between computers. I don't see why you couldn't do that with cubase too, but I don't use it so maybe there is some reason?
Hope that's useful.

Exactly what I was going to say.
When I have to track parts elsewhere I just export an mp3 of the track as a guide for the performer.
Then I only have to worry about importing the wavs which are recorded at the session. I don't intend to do any mixing during a tracking session so it's just raw wavs...Nice and simple.

If you think you might need some control over levels for your performer, export stems of drums, rhythm, bass, backing vocals (whatever) all starting at a common point. (00:00:00 is simplest).
Same deal - they're just a guide.

All that said, I can just copy and entire protools sessions back and forth between computers. I don't see why you couldn't do that with cubase too, but I don't use it so maybe there is some reason?
Hope that's useful.

Yeah man, you can copy and paste projects the same way with Cubase as well. But it just seemed overkill to tax a laptop with a project it doesn't need to. Remember, we are a PC, you are a Mac. lmao!

Windows file management can be a bit frustrating. Maybe it is just me, but I try to keep things as simple as possible. I wouldn't even try to trust in a file being replaced with another from another machine without a backup copy for the original... You know what I have been through.. :)

Yeah man, you can copy and paste projects the same way with Cubase as well. But it just seemed overkill to tax a laptop with a project it doesn't need to. Remember, we are a PC, you are a Mac. lmao!

Windows file management can be a bit frustrating. Maybe it is just me, but I try to keep things as simple as possible. I wouldn't even try to trust in a file being replaced with another from another machine without a backup copy for the original... You know what I have been through.. :)

Yeah man, all of the above!
There's no sense running the full session with all it's resource requirements unless you really have to.
Plus, I don't have the majority of my plugins installed on the laptop so there'd be a bit of pain with that too.

+1. Work from stems or a stereo wav all the way. ;)

Just as another option, if you're up for it: if both the laptop and PC are running Windows, you can try creating a Homegroup and share the folder that contains the files. Then you can access those files from any other computer on your network that's also a member of the Homegroup.

Homegroups aren't a perfect solution, but I do use mine somewhat often. When I want to check a mix on my upstairs computer, I have access to my media directory from my studio computer. So I can play a mixdown by accessing it over my home network. I can copy files between my computers as well.

Might be worth a try, or might be a giant pain in the ass...

Thanks so much guys!
I have already just put a stereo mix, in mp3 form, on my laptop as a guide, like you guys are suggesting. That part I got. It was getting the newly recorded laptop tracks back to the pc project that I wasn't clear on.
Also, I appreciate light being shed on why tracks wouldn't play without being on the desktop, and how to remedy that.

Thanks so much guys!
I have already just put a stereo mix, in mp3 form, on my laptop as a guide, like you guys are suggesting. That part I got. It was getting the newly recorded laptop tracks back to the pc project that I wasn't clear on.
Also, I appreciate light being shed on why tracks wouldn't play without being on the desktop, and how to remedy that.

Again, just export the wav files from you new recorded tracks on the laptop to a flash drive or whatever. Then import them to the PC project. And here we are:

Oh, and as to the tracks playing only while on your Desktop; you will need to drag/drop them into a project, 'Copy File to Working Directory' when prompted. The issue you may have had is that the audio from your desktop never actually was saved into the 'Pool' of the project you were working on. If you delete that file from your desktop without adding the track to the projects audio folder, it will give you an error 'missing files'. That sucks and it has happened more times than I would like to admit over the years.

So, once you do that import, if you choose 'copy file to working directory', it should save to your project location. But to make sure, just do 'File>Backup Project...' and save a new project folder. That will absolutely make sure that everything you have in the project (that you hear) is saved in the same project folder.

The easiest way would be to creat a local area network (lan) using a router or hub, plug both computers into the hub using cat5 cable (ethernet cable). Then you share all the drives on your laptop by right clicking and choosing share (go through all the security stuff and click ok). Then you go to network places on your desktop and choose show workgroup computers, all the drives from your laptop will appear. Click and drag the files you want to the appropriate drive on your desktop.

LAN works well, or the other thing I do (having been caught out) is back up everything to an external HDD (sometimes 2 if it's irreplaceable stuff). They're dirt cheap now--I just bought a 2TB USB 3 7200 rpm drive for under $100 Australian.

If you transfer files to the HDD, you can then load them into the other computer--this can work with simple individual files or whole projects. For example, when working on a theatre show, I edit all the music and effects at home on the main computer but transfer everything to a cheaper laptop to take to the theatre both for live playback but also so I can do a re-edit on the spot if needed.

Back