Dongle Hack For Sx3

BRIEFCASEMANX

Winner chicken dinner!
Believe it or not, I just PURCHASED(as in spent my own moolah) a student copy of SX3, and I'm wondering if theres anyway to get away from using the dongle, but before that I have some questions about the dongle.

Is it something you plug in while you first start using cubase, or does it have to be plugged in the whole time? It looks like a big hassle. it's long and looks like it would damage my usb port over time if i kept it in there just from being so long and weighting down the usb input. If you only have to put it in while starting cubase in order to verify that you are a legit user than I'm fine with that, but it seems like a huge hassle if it needs to be plugged in the whole time, not to mention that my usb ports are all full and i'd have to keep plugging and unplugging stuff every time i used cubase.

Before negative repping me, i'll actually post pictures of my cubase box/dongle etc in about a week or so when i get it. I'm legit.

I just tried it with my version of SX2 and its does require the USB key to be in at all times. You can pull it out for a few minutes, but it'll notice eventually. I'm assuming its the same for SX3.

There is no dongle crack for the Mac and I'm not sure if the PC guys have cracked V3, yet. If you do decide be dongle crack your legal copy that's up to you- watch out for viruses and all that crap that goes along with shady downloading.

I'd suggest NOT cracking it as this can lead to stability issues. If you have a dongle just use it and rest assured that your software will work. If you're out of USB ports go grab a cheapo USB hub, plug it in, plug in the USB key and forget about it. I've never had any trouble with mine or the various USB ports I plug it into- its very small and light.

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
I just tried it with my version of SX2 and its does require the USB key to be in at all times. You can pull it out for a few minutes, but it'll notice eventually. I'm assuming its the same for SX3.

There is no dongle crack for the Mac and I'm not sure if the PC guys have cracked V3, yet. If you do decide be dongle crack your legal copy that's up to you- watch out for viruses and all that crap that goes along with shady downloading.

I'd suggest NOT cracking it as this can lead to stability issues. If you have a dongle just use it and rest assured that your software will work. If you're out of USB ports go grab a cheapo USB hub, plug it in, plug in the USB key and forget about it. I've never had any trouble with mine or the various USB ports I plug it into- its very small and light.

Take care,
Chris

I just looked at the dongle again and it actually doesn't appear to be that big at all. There was some picture I saw of it a few weeks ago that had no frame of reference and it may have been at a weird angle but it made it look like it was HUGE. How big is it anyway?--it looks now to be less than 2 inches long which isn't bad at all. USB hub thing is a great idea too btw.

Its the same size as the a USB plug at the end of the cable, except about 1.5" long. It probably puts less weight on the port than a plug with the weight of a cable on it.

Take care,
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
Its the same size as the a USB plug at the end of the cable, except about 1.5" long. It probably puts less weight on the port than a plug with the weight of a cable on it.

Take care,
Chris

Sweet thanks!

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
I just looked at the dongle again and it actually doesn't appear to be that big at all. There was some picture I saw of it a few weeks ago that had no frame of reference and it may have been at a weird angle but it made it look like it was HUGE. How big is it anyway?--it looks now to be less than 2 inches long which isn't bad at all. USB hub thing is a great idea too btw.
I thought you bought it. Why would you have to ask us what size the dongle is if you have it sitting in the box? Is it really that much easier to type a question than open a box that needs to be opened anyway?

Farview said:
I thought you bought it. Why would you have to ask us what size the dongle is if you have it sitting in the box? Is it really that much easier to type a question than open a box that needs to be opened anyway?

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
Before negative repping me, i'll actually post pictures of my cubase box/dongle etc in about a week or so when i get it. I'm legit

This is what he said, The post is from today so he doesent have it yet

Yep, as said above the dongle is required to be plugged in all the time, but it is actually really small.

If you care much about your music, you will get the hub and use the dongle. The cracks aren't always perfect, nor are the websites that host them. I have read posts from people who claim they were legit users who either *lost* or *broke* their dongle and turned to a hack because they didnt' feel they should have to pay to replace their dongle. Then they were upset because their music files became corrupt and could not be opened. The worst case I remember reading, the guy lost somthing like three months worth of work on his solo project because of it.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I have mine permanently plugged into a hub, and I can't imagine that tiny dongle causing any damage whatsoever.

Yeah me and the dongle are tight now, we go way back. And yeah I got it on ebay 2-3 days ago so it'll probably be here late next week. I'm sure I'll have questions when i get it, like.......anyone using the UAD-1 card with SX3? I use it with audition now and it sort of doesn't work correctly but I've found workarounds. Does it work okay with Cubase?

That IS pretty funny. :D Don't get too tight with your dongle, people will start to think things.... :rolleyes:

But do treat the dongle like it is worth $600, because it really is.

This thread is brilliant. I love how he got it in the picture to prove the point. Excellent!!!

Good to see you went down the legit route! :)

Back