dongle gone bad

toyL

...cubase reports--"copy protection device not found"...windows reports--midi device not found...so, I removed the dongle and connected the midi flyer directly to the computer and restarted...this solved the flyer failure but obviously I can't open cubase...apparently, the dongle is bad?...wonder if steinberg will replace it for free?...thanks.

I have a friend that uses the crack of Cubase for that very reason. He bought Cubase but uses the crack because of that dongle bullshit. I don't use anything that's dongle protected and never will.

To me it makes no sense... Those guys can crack pretty much anything even something that uses the dongle for it's copy protection. So why do it?

Sorry 'bout your problem and my rant. Hope you get your problem solved.

Try http://www.cubase.net and click the cubase forum. Maybe some of those guys can help.

See Ya
Dennis

After 15 yrs of building electronics systems, sub-assemblies, etc, for dod, I can spot a real $ maker... yes it is B#LLShituth that steinberg's manufacturing folks can't seem to get a grip on their processes, quality-control, or whatever it is that’s causing all these dongle failures I was surprised to recently learn about...of course I'm bashing them for “only” one failure, the damn dongle of all things... it's one of those items that are manufactured at very low costs, requiring little r&d and a nominal amount of documentation.... a hand-full of massed produced parts, maybe a short length of 22ga wire, the odd resistor or two, maybe a diode, assembled carefully by-hand can and often does bring in big money... I’ll guess that’s why steinberg continues to use them...they’re a great “accessory”—because we have to “buy” into it if we want the software...I only hope steinberg is paying some semblance of the prevailing wage to the workers who build these dongles...people who produce quality work aren’t inclined to accept less than the prevailing wage, which leaves “who” to work for less...it would be nice if the damn things lasted longer than a couple yrs...we’re already caught up in software upgrade hassles ($)...yeh, it’s pure B#LLLLLLShituth...

Hey ToyL, sorry to hear about the trouble. IF your positive your dongle is fried they will replace it and can do it in fairly quick order, but what you will want to do is CALL, don't e-mail, your local steinberg directly and handle it that way. I have heard of people getting them replaced in as quick as two days.

I have heard people say they use a crack version because having a dongle is bullshit and their arguement falls very short of reality. They use a crack becasue they want to steal the software and get something for free. VERY few users ever report problems with the dongles. Is there really anyone stupid enough to say "I'd buy that $700 program in a heartbeat...but I REALLY don't want to plug that dongle in the back of my computer."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Don't think so :p

It's another one of the many excuses that thieves use to try to make themselves feel better about their lack of character. The good part is cracks always crash in the end and that is why those of us who care about our craft actually take the effort to save and buy the program, as much to protect ourselves as to help continue the development of one of the best recording programs out there.

...thanks for the replies...spent 40 min long-distance on-hold waiting for steinberg tech-support to answer the phone...40 min is my limit so I hung up...I guess they're especially busy on monday mornings...today I wised up and called the "sales" people and got right thru...maybe they're more inclined to answer the phone...they advised that I try the POS driver mentioned in this thread, so I did...after installing the new driver I started cubase and received this error--

Syncrosoft License Control-Error
Application Cubase VST/32 has caused the following error
Device error CS
There is no way to recover from this error
Options
Clk OK to abort

Bass Master "K" said:
Is there really anyone stupid enough to say "I'd buy that $700 program in a heartbeat...but I REALLY don't want to plug that dongle in the back of my computer."

Yea... ME !

"I don't use illegal software and I don't use software that requires a dongle." There, I said it ! Now..

Why does that make me stupid?

I use CEP2.1, Ntrack and FruityLoops. If they fail then I reinstall and I'm off and running. I don't have to wait for weeks to get a new dongle. That's just me... If that makes me STUPID then so be it.

Dennis

rustyfingers said:
Yea... ME !

"I don't use illegal software and I don't use software that requires a dongle." There, I said it ! Now..

Why does that make me stupid?

I use CEP2.1, Ntrack and FruityLoops. If they fail then I reinstall and I'm off and running. I don't have to wait for weeks to get a new dongle. That's just me... If that makes me STUPID then so be it.

Dennis

Dude, I said people who use the CRACKED version, with the excuse that they don't like dongles and say they would buy the program in a heartbeat if it didn't have the dongle, are the stupid people. It's an obvious cop out to them stealing software. If you read my post I said NOTHING about people who choose not to buy software that has a protection device and choose a different piece of software based on that preference.

I suppose I could make an addendum for people who can't read. Hmmmmmm.... :D

...a steinberg salesman actually told me that I'd need to pay $179. for a replacement cpd, or $149. for an upgrade to sx...gee thanks...I guess he thinks I should just set vst/32 aside and forget about it...finally spoke to tech support and they assured me they would send out a replacement (free) as soon as they received mine...

Sounds like your local salesman doesn't know his head from his arse. It's $149 if you want a dongle without returning one. Basically for people who lose their dongle. To get a replacement the only thing you have to pay for is to ship it there....should be very cheap. Sucks to lose out on a few days of production though =(

I was hoping that thread would have helped you. Good luck on getting your system back up and running.

...actually, it was a steinberg sales-rep at the chatsworth, ca location who quoted the $179. figure for a replacement cpd...sixty seconds later, a tech-support rep reassured me of the free replacement...if they follow thru on their word I should have a new dongle by 3pm today...thanks for all your replies.

...well, this is really starting to suck...steinberg promised me a replacement by 3pm yesterday, and it has yet to arrive...
does anyone know if the cubase demo will allow me to open wavelab?...if yes, then perhaps I can use the "save" function in wavelab...I know I'm grasping for straws here, but I have projects on-hold that really need to be moving forward...thanks.

...finally received a "free" replacement cpd a couple of days ago...started cubase vst/32 and received error--blah, blah, there is no way to recover from this error...so, I reinstalled the pos1370 driver and now cubase opens and works ok, but only if my midi device is not connected...I went for 2 yrs with the this midi connection on the far side of the dongle with no problems...now the program won't even open if the midi (alesis sr16) device is connected...any suggestions?...thanks.

...well, after uninstalling/re-installing the midi connection (motu flyer) about three times, I'm up and running fine again...go figure.

Back