Does the Cubase SX mixer have a mono button?

Checking your mixes in mono lets you see what your mix will sound like out of a really crappy boombox or how it would sound on tv. Many engineers say if your mix sounds good in mono it will sound good on anything. Thanks for your help.

I didnt know that mate. If you need to convert from mono to stereo or vice versus then its not easy as clicking a button in cubase. If i ever want to check out my work then i just throw it on in the car cd etc. But the best way is probably through a good set of monitors. Seriously, they r probably the most important part of the process and can make a huge difference. It took me 2 years to suss that out!!!!!

Hi,

Thanks. I actually have a pair of Genelec 1030A's so Im all set when it comes to monitors. I usually check my mixes on a bunch of different systems too. Thanks for your help.

that's a good idea.... they say you need to listen to it at a lot of different volumes to get the mix right since we hear frequencies different when they are at different volumes... but about the mono thing.... to really hear what they would hear wouldn't you just want to listen to it through only the left speaker? so couldn't you just listen to what would come out of the left channel? I thought mono just didn't play the right channel.

or you can probably render it out as a mono wav file. do it at a low sample rate for extra crappiness! :p I really understand that you want your music to sound good to all people at any angle over any system- this is a noble pursuit.

So you are a DM fan? Just guessing from the name you have...:D

Right below the master volume... there is a button with two circles. This represents stereo. Click it and it becomes one circle, this will be mono.

I'm surprised no one answered you..

well done geet

there it is under the master volume... there is a little button that pops up mono/stereo when you hover over it... thanks for the tip :D i am very new to cubase but i am likin' it!

I still dont see it??? Im looking on the mixer at the stereo out volume meter all the way on the right. But it has identical controls as all the channels. Am I looking at the wrong place?

Listening in mono also shows if the way you pan things doesn't cause any phase shifting.
Does anyone know if Cubase VST 5.1 has this buitton and where it is located?

Are you sure you have the master level control on?

In the mixer window, it's one of the buttons on the left. I'll put a screenshot of it up tonight.

The master volume fader has all the master effects and such above it.

well i am using sx version 1.0

i hit f3 to pull up the mixer, then you have to click on the 7th button down on the left border of the mixer to pull up the master control.

then at the bottom of the master control, there is a little 'r' and a 'w'

to the left of both of those buttons is a little symbol with two overlapping circles; if you click that it turns to one circle and mono mix.

hope this helps! :D

Hey Dopey,

I just cant seem to find it. Even when I follow your instructions exactly. With a screen shot you could just use microsoft paint to circle the button with a paintbrush. If its too much work then dont bother, but it would be a real help.

Thanks.

I found the answer in a Cubase SX online FAQ. Apparently they removed the mono button for Cubase SX 2 because it conflicted with they "surround channel philosophy." this is what it said:

Q9: Whatever happened to the "Mono" switch ?
A9: Sorry, there is no mono switch (as it doesn't match our "surround channel philosophy"). A solution would be to create a mono group which goes into your stereo out and route your audio track to that mono group or even easier: Simply click and hold the right mouse button on the output channel balance panner, choose e.g. dual panner mode, release the right mouse button and listen in mono. Then change back to the stereo balance panner using the same procedure for stereo playback again. We're aware of this issue and planning some more elegant solution for the future.

Thanks for all the help though guys.

whoa! that's complicated just to get it to do mono for a second.

bummer. Sorry we couldn't help.... i didn't know what version you were using anyway... like i said i only have 1.0.... so is 2 better? hehe glad it got sorted though m8 :)

Well i didnt think there was a button, i was getting a bit worried back there when everyone was saying there was. Still, learnt a few things along the way!!!!!

Back