do I need to upgrade?

philsimpkin22

Hi Everyone.
Back in the stone age I bought a tascam 144 interface which came with Cubase LE4. I have used this over the years and with the addition of ez drummer and a couple of soft synths the set up has worked fine for me until the beginning of the year when my old Compaq laptop has decided it has not much more to offer. My step son gave me his computer tower last week, all wiped clean and with really good high spec hardware and memory. It uses Windows 8.1. I have moved my files and recordings over to this computer and after a bit of a struggle managed to load in the software for the Tascam and the Cubase LE4 however I am experiencing quite a few problems when playing back my music e.g. jumping and stalling, loading incorrectly sound issues etc.. I tried to find if there was any upgrades for the set up but I fear they may be too old now and may be un-usable with Windows above XP which was my laptop platform.
Has anyone else experienced these kind of problems trying to up grade? If anyone has any advice it will be most gratefully received.

PS The reason for changing from my old laptop is that it has started crashing a lot in the middle of stuff and is struggling to cope with more than a couple of vsti's at the same time. the processor is old and limited.

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

You might want to upgrade simply because you are four versions behind on a free version of the daw. But you also need to make sure that you are using the windows 8 drivers for your interface as well. If there are no windows 8 drivers, you might need a new interface too.

It's possible your copy of Cubase is 32 bit running on a 64bit platform. It might work, not sure, but something to check off the troubleshooting list.

It looks like they have current drivers.

Product: US-144 | TASCAM

Not sure if you can download the latest Cubase LE version with your original product key.

Thank you.

You might want to upgrade simply because you are four versions behind on a free version of the daw. But you also need to make sure that you are using the windows 8 drivers for your interface as well. If there are no windows 8 drivers, you might need a new interface too.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I never bothered changing my set up before as everything has always worked well until recently. I know I'm miles behind with regard to the software and stuff and I had a feeling this would be the case. Is there an obvious progression from my set up as I got on ok with Cubase?

It's possible your copy of Cubase is 32 bit running on a 64bit platform. It might work, not sure, but something to check off the troubleshooting list.

It looks like they have current drivers.

Product: US-144 | TASCAM

Not sure if you can download the latest Cubase LE version with your original product key.
Thanks Chili. You are spot on about the 32bit and I did try to download the 64bit Le. I will give the Tascam driver download a go though before I throw the towel in ha ha. Thanks again, Phil.

Back