Desk top mixer with Cubase 8 Pro?

GtrGtrGtr

Hey guys I notice a lot of people using table top mixers with their daw set up.

I am just starting and have purchased all I need to get me up and (hopefully) learning. I will be using Cubase 8 Pro

Question is 1) Do I need a table top mixer ?
2) Does having one make it easier to record/mix down?
3) What are the best units to use with Cubase 8 Pro in the say 300.00 to 400.00 dollar range
4) Do the cheaper units get the job done?

Here are what Im looking at... so you have an idea of what Im talking about. Thanks for the help-:thumbs up:
Akai-Professional-MIDImix
CM Labs Automation Motor Mix Digital Mixer Worksurface
Tascam FW-1884 Professional Control Surface
Behringer X-TOUCH Universal USB MIDI Control Surface--

Last edited:

Nope. There is absolutely no need to spend money on a mixer if you will be using a program like Cubase. I thought you asked this once before, maybe last week, and got the same answer.

What you do need is an interface if you are recording audio.

I am just starting and have purchased all I need to get me up and (hopefully) learning. I will be using Cubase 8 Pro

3) What are the best units to use with Cubase 8 Pro in the say 300.00 to 400.00 dollar range

Here are what Im looking at... so you have an idea of what Im talking about. Thanks for the help-:thumbs up:

Nothing wrong with having a MIDI controller. But that is just convenience.

One of those silly mouse things will do the trick.

I would recommend spending your cash on things that are relevant to the sound of the recordings at the source.

Room/treatment of that room/mics suited for the room and source/monitoring in that room so you know what the source actually sounds like. There is no easy way to make this happen. But it doesn't take much money to improve it.

Make an educated decision based on research and trial and error. A controller will not fix anything but it is nice to have a few buttons to push....

A mixer will allow you to hook up other things like an extra set of monitors, drum machine, keyboard..etc. I bought a Mackie vlz 1202 in 2005, still using til this day! Its a great investment! look to the future!

Back