Cubase VST 5.1: Buffer settings & memory per channel

rio452001

Hi there,

I'm using Cubase VST 5.1, with a Pentium 4 (plenty of RAM, hard drive space etc) and a Delta 66 soundcard

I'm getting some skips & clicks & noise etc, and it's been suggested that I try changing the buffer settings & memory per channel in my audio set up.

Right now, I've got the buffer settings at their lowest setting (32), and I'm increasing the memory per channel to about 748 or so.

Is there an "optimum" setting for memory per channel?

I won't be using more than a total of about 8 to 12 tracks in total (but I'll be recording 6 simultaneously).

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rio

It's been a while since I've used VST5, but I think you're on the right track. There is certainly no harm in at least trying. I don't know if you need to go as high as you mentioned, but certainly try increasing those buffers.

I remember when I changed my setting from a pretty low setting to a higher setting, my disk activity went way down. I did not notice any negative side effects fromt he change either.

Good Luck!

Hi Raw tracks,

Do you mean to increase the buffer setting? Or increase only the memory per channel?

When I increase the buffer setting, I get more noise on playback.

rio452001 said:
Hi Raw tracks,

Do you mean to increase the buffer setting? Or increase only the memory per channel?

When I increase the buffer setting, I get more noise on playback.

Sorry, I'm going of off memory here. What I was trying to say is to increase the Memory Per Channel, or however they refer to that setting.

sound card buffer settings

aha, I also see there are buffer settings on my Delta 66 soundcard...

I had it set to 800, which gave something like 19 ms of latency... I moved it up to 1056, which gives 25ms latency

the noise seems to be much better, but there still seems to be the occasional thing...

should I bump it up higher?

rio452001 said:
aha, I also see there are buffer settings on my Delta 66 soundcard...

I had it set to 800, which gave something like 19 ms of latency... I moved it up to 1056, which gives 25ms latency

the noise seems to be much better, but there still seems to be the occasional thing...

should I bump it up higher?

The buffer settings on your Delta card may help you. However, if you're only using about 12 tracks, such high buffer setting should not be necessary. It seems there is something else that is causing problems.

Need to know more specifics on your computer. What are all of your hardware specs? Are you also running anti-virus software? You need to disable your anti-virus while recording.

Back