Cubase vs Pro Tools

Also I do notice that my plugins process and attenuate my audio better in pro tools than cubase. Not sure why but it does. I use waves Mercury bundle plugins and I get a way better performance out of my dynamic plugins especially. So I apologize if that was interpreted as fact instead of phenomenom when I said PT has better power to plugintry. Ultimately there is no factual answer to this read. Its just about whatever works best for to accomplish what you want. I think we all can agree on that

That is not even possible. It's digital recording man. There is no degradation specific to either of the DAW's.

Also I do notice that my plugins process and attenuate my audio better in pro tools than cubase. Not sure why but it does. I use waves Mercury bundle plugins and I get a way better performance out of my dynamic plugins especially. So I apologize if that was interpreted as fact instead of phenomenom when I said PT has better power to plugintry. Ultimately there is no factual answer to this read. Its just about whatever works best for to accomplish what you want. I think we all can agree on that

Attenuate? Please explain further. Attenuate simply means to "turn down". Do you mean as in a compressor?

I know a well known engineer here that is a Grammy winner (or rather, his work has garnered a Grammy) that has claimed to me that he can tell the difference between RTAS and TDM versions of the same plugin run in PT LE and PT HD. Personally, I think he's convinced himself he can.

This guy also slams his levels and, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the sound of his work, which is very popular by the way.

My guess is that because he's used to big Genelecs in a properly tuned room (he has a nice studio) with a PT HD3 system system, the results of processing seem very impressive and immediate and probably a lot more pronounced because of the better monitoring environment and better converters, etc. When you're working on portable monitors through an Mbox on location with PT LE (which I think was the scenario) it may be more difficult to hear the results you're after and so therefore may SEEM like the RTAS versions are inferior.

It's the same code, ported for different plugin protocols. How can it possibly sound different? It would be a huge liability for plugin companies to sell a plugin on multiple platforms and have them sound different on each.

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but I have VST plugins that sound fantastic. Some don't. You just gotta know how to pick em.

Whatever my point was, I think I made it.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
A little story.

I bought a bass guitar off a guy about 2 years ago.

I found the ad on craigslist. When I got to his house, we sat in the living room. All he had in the living room were two kitchen table chairs, a table with a computer, and Pro Tools. No carpeting, no pictures, no other furniture. He apologized for the room being cold because the gas company had turned off the heat. After I paid him for the Bass, he spoke for about 10 minutes about the virtues of Pro Tools, telling me how it was the industry standard, and how you could record with it, and how it was the industry standard, and how it was superior to all other DAWs, and also, did I mention, how it was the industry standard. I asked him before I left, why he was selling the bass, he said he needed to pay for Pro-Tools HD hardware upgrade.. :facepalm:

I returned to my fully furnished, warm, mortgage free house, took out my newly acquired bass guitar and began recording on my non-industry standard Cubase DAW. ;)

A little story.

I found the ad on craigslist. When I got to his house, we sat in the living room. All he had in the living room were two kitchen table chairs, a table with a computer, and Pro Tools. No carpeting, no pictures, no other furniture. He apologized for the room being cold because the gas company had turned off the heat. After I paid him for the Bass, he spoke for about 10 minutes about the virtues of Pro Tools, telling me how it was the industry standard, and how you could record with it, and how it was the industry standard, and how it was superior to all other DAWs, and also, did I mention, how it was the industry standard. I asked him before I left, why he was selling the bass, he said he needed to pay for Pro-Tools HD hardware upgrade.. :facepalm:

I returned to my fully furnished, warm, mortgage free house, took out my newly acquired bass guitar and began recording on my non-industry standard Cubase DAW. ;)

HA! Great anecdote!

Cheers :)

A little story.

I love that story! Now for the Mac one.... LMAO!

I love that story! Now for the Mac one.... LMAO!

Okay, I got one. (giggles under breath)

Once upon a time, I had a Windows computer. It was crappy and unstable, and all my programs were crashing. I got a used Mac on ebay for a incredibly small amount and it is awesome.

The end. :D

Just kidding. I love my Mac but I also love Windows. I just.......fucking love my Mac doe.

computer-mouse-hump.gif

Okay, I got one. (giggles under breath)

Once upon a time, I had a Windows computer. It was crappy and unstable, and all my programs were crashing. I got a used Mac on ebay for a incredibly small amount and it is awesome.

The end. :D

Just kidding. I love my Mac but I also love Windows. I just.......fucking love my Mac doe.

computer-mouse-hump.gif

Awesome! :)

Just to be clear, I will likely have a Mac in my near future as well. I don't judge by platform. I only find it humorous, those who like to debate which is better. Each has it's own set of 'good stuff'. Apples and oranges. I prefer citrus myself, but don't throw my rinds at people, just because I am happy. :)

Mice on Mice=priceless!

Wait, is that consentual? And why the hell does spell check not know that word? Oh, it must be gay mouse sex....

lol

Yeah, I like the Mac for its simplicity and its lightning fast start up. The reason for this is a lack of BIOS. I hate the start up chug on Windows.

I like Windows because I am incredibly familiar with it. It's also sooooooo much cheaper and you can customize processors and all that shiz. :)

Inexperienced with Cubase and PT.

I'm switching over from Windows to Mac and have been primarily using FL and Studio One.
I wanted to start a PT setup, but I'm curious about Cubase. I'm on a budget and was looking at the Steinberg UR22 that comes with Cubase A1 v6. Besides the price, what attracted me was the 24 bit/192 khz sample rate. I know practically nothing about Cubase or PT and was hoping someone might have some insight as to whether Cubase is, at least, equal to PT in capabilities and if anyone knows about the UR22-any info would be helpful-thanx!

I'm switching over from Windows to Mac and have been primarily using FL and Studio One.
I wanted to start a PT setup, but I'm curious about Cubase. I'm on a budget and was looking at the Steinberg UR22 that comes with Cubase A1 v6. Besides the price, what attracted me was the 24 bit/192 khz sample rate. I know practically nothing about Cubase or PT and was hoping someone might have some insight as to whether Cubase is, at least, equal to PT in capabilities and if anyone knows about the UR22-any info would be helpful-thanx!

24bit/192 kHz won't make much a difference, not enough that you can tell anyway. 16bit/44.1 kHz will do just fine.

Back