Cubase Studio 5: MIDI channels not sending to mixdown. Help!

Blycker

All of a sudden any channels I've recorded via MIDI are not showing up in the audio mixdown. Specific to the current project, a few drum channels I programmed with Groove Agent One vst. They sound great within Cubase, but when I mixdown to mp3 to test the file on different speakers and computers, the drums are gone. Any ideas?

Windows 7 user
Cubase Studio 5 (I know, it's ancient.)

Are the tracks 'enabled' to record when you export? That will kill it every time.

Disable record on the tracks. Try that first.

I should have clarified that I created the drum parts as an instrument track using Groove Agent One as the VST. Maybe that will clarify the troubleshooting process.

The iNSTRUMENT TRACK IS A midi TRACK. I'm just saying that you have to record that to a .wav file to make it non-vapor

I should have clarified that I created the drum parts as an instrument track using Groove Agent One as the VST. Maybe that will clarify the troubleshooting process.

That shouldn't matter. They should export. Again, are the tracks armed to record? That would cause this to happen. If not I don't have a clue.

Then you may need to delete your Preferences. It should just work exporting what you have. Sometimes Prefs get messed up and weird shit happens.

In C7 and later versions you can do a 'safe start mode' to find if this is the issue, but you will just have to delete them with Cubase 5 if my memory is correct.

I think in W7 for C5 it is in 'Appdata' or something like that. Look at your Start Menu under 'All Programs'. Is it there? If not you should look to steinberg.net forums for the correct location of the preferences file. Basically you just delete or rename the folder. When Cubase opens it resets a new set of preferences. I know, it sounds strange but computers and software do weird shit...I have had it happen many times with Cubase 5 thru 7. 8 and 9 versions I have had no such weird things.

If that don't work, PM me and I will get you my email to send the project folder. We will figure this out somehow.

:)

The iNSTRUMENT TRACK IS A midi TRACK. I'm just saying that you have to record that to a .wav file to make it non-vapor

Not always, and no, you don't.

So- slow down.
Blyker- we need a little info-can you screenshot your project window?

Also, can you doublecheck your MIXDOWN settings.. make sure you haven't deselected your GrooveAgent output?

MIDI tracks have always been called Instrument tracks as far as I know, Then, they let us have Audio tracks.

MIDI tracks have always been called Instrument tracks as far as I know, Then, they let us have Audio tracks.
Instrument tracks MAY contain MIDI.. but MIDI tracks sometimes will NOT contain an instrument. .
Like- here is a screenshot from cubase 5's 'add track' context menu- you can see that you can add an instrument track OR a MIDI track..
Adding-new-channel-in-cubase.jpg
It is similar in all the versions since.

Since there are different ways of routing it... that is why we gotta find out how the OP is setting things up, if we want to advise him properly.

"Instrument tracks MAY contain MIDI"

What else can go in there : ) Are they talking about a Beat Machine, or, something, that offers audio and no MIDI?

Instrument is your patch = like G. Piano in GM

You need to remember how Cubase works. If you create MIDI track, and record from your master keyboard, and the data appears in the track, in the inspector you can, depending one what gear you have connected and set up, send it out of a MIDI output, or if you have started up a VSTi - either as an instrument track, or as a VSTi in a virtual rack you can send that MIDI track to those outputs too. If you create an instrument track, you can take the track and drop it onto the instrument track. The data is the same. The instrument track can do a few things a MIDI track can't, but the differences aren't really important for this problem here.

In the inspector - check to see what destinations Cubase is able to send that MIDI track or Instrument track to. You might see a list of running VSTis and real MIDI outputs - I suspect you've just lost the routing - once you route the MIDI data to an output, it will appear in the mixer, with an associated fader. Best guess is that you are not connected to a destination!

Yes, there is a much better chance that it will export if the MIDI(and audio) is rendered. I'm Just not on board with lets see how many hoops the DAW can jump through to do something simple

I tried deleting the Defaults.xml file like Steinberg recommended; no dice. I'll post a couple screenshots for ya here and also go back and try re-naming the Cubase Studio 5 folder in app data. Keep you posted.
Audio-Mixdown-Settings.jpgProject-View.jpg

I tried renaming the Cubase Studio 5_64 folder as "xCubase Studio 5_64" to no avail. Still not hearing drum tracks in audio mixdown! Argh!

...crickets...

Um, isn't this the part where you guys look at the pics, feed the information to your great brains and then help me fix the problem?

Hello?
Anyone?
Bueller...
Bueller...
Bueller...

OK- I don't see any giant problems there!

Question: is the Vsti called "Keys" mixing down correctly?

Lets try a couple things:
a) in the Audio Mixdown window- try a 'real-time-export'
If that works.. then this is a technical issue, not a setup/routing thing.

b) Click "Channel Batch Output" and try just mixing down the suspect tracks.
If THAT works, this is probably a routing/setup thing.. and not a technical issue!

I didn't think Cubase Studio 5 had the ability to 'Batch Export' as far as I know. But from your pic, it seems it does. Only full versions of Cubase have that ability now.

I wonder why you are still using Cubase 5? Most anyone using Cubase 5 has likely gotten it for free (pirated) or is not willing to take the time to ask Steinberg forum for support.

That is just my assumption, but Cubase 5 is now a five year old product that not even licensed Cubase users can get-nor would want if had the updates. It is also the last version that was available via pirate sites.

You will have issues with software that is scammed and not purchased. Pay the price one will by using things for free that are not. Sorry for the Yoda moment. lol

Just sayin... Sorry if I am incorrect.

But then I also have never seen output for export as 'bus 1'. It should be 'Stereo Out'. Maybe that is your issue. Bad VST Connections setup?

Looking at it now, I bet you do not have a 'Stereo Out' bus enabled. It should be there by default and that is where exports for you full mix will be directed. Fix that and you should be good.

Last edited:
Back