Cubase preferences holy grail

jimmys69

MOODerator
I just needed to post this for others:

I have been through every Cubase update since LE 4.

I am using Cubase 8.0.10 now and recently started having issues. Big projects with deadlines and the worst kind of problems...

First was crossfade not working right. The default would not stay at my setting. Not a huge deal to work around but it seemed to be recognized at Steinberg forum as an issue.

I then did a 'Safe Mode' start (holding ctrl+shift+alt) while starting. This gives options to start with default settings or delete them.

Well, that worked for a bit, but then I started having the same issues. Then new ones. Crashing when changing buffer size on interface was the worst of them. Import files by 'dragging in' caused an immediate crash. Page file errors and such. Just figured my system was failing somewhere. I could not even exit to windows to play an export on Media Player half the time. It would just lock up for 20 seconds before throwing me an error message. So I built a new PC thinking that 'blue screens' were hardware based.

Not a big deal there as I wish to move to 64-bit Cubase and a SSD OS setup. Money well spent for future. Anyway, here is the shit:

Just out of my mind I remembered something someone said on the site when I was upgrading from Cubase 6 to 7. 'Delete the preferences on all of your existing Cubase versions as well as the new one then restart Cubase'.

Holy fucking shit.... I deleted the App Data file for Cubase 6, 7, and 8. And I now have no crashes. I can't find a way to make it crash and I have been trying hard for an hour.

Crossfades work as they should. I can just hit the 'Windows key' and play a Media Player file instantly, and Cubase still stays solid.

I am so surprised that the need to delete old preference files when upgrading is not written in bold text...

I will now have a backup system in case I ever do have a mobo or whatever failure so I don't feel the money is lost, but I would have never expected just a simple step would have solved so many issues.

Final thought:

If you upgrade to newer version of Cubase, delete the previous App Data folders and start a new one for the upgraded version.

Jim, I think this was Steen and it was in regards to Pro. Maybe what you found is an issue with many DAWS. Part of the install build program on Windows (there is a utility that builds these install packages) may not overwrite these settings and the change in the software causes conflicts with the older settings since it doesn't remove the old preference file.

Glad that your system is now stable.

Thanks DM60

There are still issues with my PC. It is at least working well enough to finish the projects I am working on. It is 5 years old...

New system build will hopefully alleviate the issues. That remains to be found out. :)

I've noticed over the years, when HD's start to go bad, the errors show up funky, hard to troubleshoot. Corrupt sectors, causing data issues, so forth and so on. Not 100%, but usually when I see issues that are hard to duplicate, my first instinct is to go for the HD. Since it is about the only piece of hardware with moving parts. The SSD(s) should eliminate that.

I'm sure you will let us know how it goes.

I sure will.

Once I get the new system up and running I'm going to dig in to the other system.

How does one check for bad sectors?

In Explorer, you right click on your HD under computer. Properties->Tools->Error Checking->Check Now. A window pops up and prompts check disk options, there are two boxes, Automatically fix system errors and a second that is usually not checked, Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors. Check the second. When you click start, it will only start checking after a reboot.

The reason is requires a reboot is if there are files in a bad sector, it will move the data and mark that sector so the HD will not write there again. Windows locks files in use (system files) and it can't fix the issue under normal Windows. This could take several hours, either do it over night (it will give a report when it is complete) or when you have tie and can walk away from it. It is nothing more than a DOS screen that gives progress messages.

Hope this answers your question.

In Explorer, you right click on your HD under computer. Properties->Tools->Error Checking->Check Now. A window pops up and prompts check disk options, there are two boxes, Automatically fix system errors and a second that is usually not checked, Scan for and attempt to recover bad sectors. Check the second. When you click start, it will only start checking after a reboot.

The reason is requires a reboot is if there are files in a bad sector, it will move the data and mark that sector so the HD will not write there again. Windows locks files in use (system files) and it can't fix the issue under normal Windows. This could take several hours, either do it over night (it will give a report when it is complete) or when you have tie and can walk away from it. It is nothing more than a DOS screen that gives progress messages.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks man!

Yeah, I am not attempting anything like that at this point. I have two projects to mix this week and do not want to take any chances.

One project has 101 friggen audio tracks. I think it I have just pushed my old PC into early retirement... lol

The likelihood of it doing harm is very unlikely. But you will have to wait for it to complete.

"Holy fucking shit.... I deleted the App Data file for Cubase 6, 7, and 8. And I now have no crashes. I can't find a way to make it crash and I have been trying hard for an hour."

Can you please be a little more specific? (Directory, Folder, etc)

All of the contents of App Data Folders for each version of Cubase.

Start>All Programs>Cubase? subfolder App Data.

yeah.... Windows 8.1 doesn't quite work like that.... I am guessing it is the User\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg area -but then there are folders called "Cubase #_64" (# = 7.5, 7 and 8). If I nuke those, then what about the "Track Presets" folder? I assume the other folders actually belong there....

That sounds like the correct folder. Not sure about w8 man. When you trash your preferences, you will lose all Cubase presets, templates, and recent projects list. Those type of things. Cubase 7 and 8 have ability to start in 'safe mode' with option to temporarily or permanently delete the prefs. But that will not remove the prefs from other versions. My main point was that after I deleted the prefs on older versions of Cubase, things just worked.

You can save things like templates and whatever to your desktop before you delete. The drag them back in after Cubase creates a new default set of preferences.

Perfect... I almost went-a-nuking, without saving the previous presets.... Virtual beer for you !! (beer)

Perfect... I almost went-a-nuking, without saving the previous presets.... Virtual beer for you !! (beer)

I could use a beer right now. Thanks!

Let me know how it goes for ya.

Make sure you save the presets for the particular version of Cubase that you plan to use tho. The issue for me seemed to be that C8 was trying to use preference files from previous versions. That likely caused the crappy stuff to happen...

Back