Cubase LE 4 Monitoring Problem.

Jmoog

I received a copy of Cubase LE 4 bundled with a Digitech effects processor I bought. I finally got around to installing it today and I have a couple questions.

My first question is how do I get the sound to come through my computer speakers when using Cubase. As it is right now I can only hear what I've recorded after I have "Exported" the track out of Cubase. I know that I must have a monitor setting set wrong or something but I can't monitor anything played through Cubase before recording nor can I hear what I have recorded during playback. I have my Digitech RP355 hooked up correctly as I can record it and I can also see the "meters" moving in Cubase when I play my guitar. I just can't hear anything unless I export it out of Cubase. toggling the yellow "monitor" button on the track bar doesn't make a difference. I notice that if I switch the VST Audio System tab from "RP355 ASIO" to "ASIO Direct X Full Duplex Driver" then I can hear what Ive recorded through Cubase but then I lose my ability to record from the RP355. Id there a way that I can both record from the RP355 and monitor what I've recorded to overdub on it?

Also I don't know what is meant by setting the "left and right locators". If I try to export a recording made in "default" template mode I am told that I need to set the left and right locators. I tried to look quickly in the manual as to what they are but i couldnt find anything.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I have an older version than you, but from what I understand, the things you're asking about are still largely the same -

The locators are little white triangles on the timeline in the editor window. They define what part of the song will loop when looping is enabled, as well as which part will be exported during export. I would guess they start off on top of each other all the way to the left at Bar 0.

As for getting the audio - the DirectX drivers never work well with Cubase, and basically nobody uses them. I used to find them handy when I was on the road a lot, because I could just plug some headphones into my laptop's headphone port and use the DirectX driver to get playback so I could edit and stuff without having to try to set up a FireWire interface in a moving vehicle - but for mixing and recording... not so hot.

To make the software work with your RP355's ASIO driver, you probably just need to set up a stereo bus on the VST Connections panel, on the output page, for whatever port your monitors are actually plugged into, then set the main out in the mixer to output to that bus.

Hey, I just looked up that RP355 and I'm not sure I understand how it's supposed to work - I was thinking it was a normal interface - but it clearly is meant to be a foot pedal. Is it supposed to also be your actual audio interface? Is it meant for you to send audio to and from Cubase over the USB connection and have your monitors hooked up to the outputs on that thing or does it require a different interface or what? The fact that that they give out Cubase with it makes it seem like it must double as an interface that you actually plug your speakers into, but it sure doesn't look like one... :confused: Can you see if there's playback coming out of the main outputs and/or the headphone output on the pedal when using the RP355 ASIO driver?

I don't think the RP355 is supposed to act as the audio interface. It's a foot pedal but I wanted to use the usb function to record in stereo as opposed to coming into Cubase through a regular mono 1/4 plug. Keep in mind though that I don't know much about "audio interfaces". The RP355 is the first piece of equiptment that I've bought that had usb connectivity capabilities. The RP355 Does have XLR outputs on it though that can be used to run speakers with. I wanted to use the laptops internal speakers or headphones though for recording.

I am using Cubase on a laptop - maybe that's my problem. My desktop is broken which is why I installed the cubase on my laptop. I was hoping to use the laptop for portable multitrack recording. I only have the direct x drivers on here. Is there another driver I can download that is better?

Ok I guess the RP355 does act as an audio interface. When using headphones with the RP355 I can hear audio playing back from the Cubase program as well as the audio going into Cubase that I am overdubbing. I guess that solves my problem as I can now overdub onto what I have already recorded. Thanks alot for your quick reply!

I just did a quick Google search and found another guy who was confused because his RP355 was making sound "come out of his amp" rather than his computer speakers - made sense to me since his amp was plugged into the output of the RP355 and his computer speakers were plugged into his soundcard - when you use that RP355 ASIO driver - your computer's soundcard is taken completely out of the loop. Plug some powered speakers or some headphones into it and I bet it's playing the audio back - just like an I/O interface should. :cool:

Ok I guess the RP355 does act as an audio interface. When using headphones with the RP355 I can hear audio playing back from the Cubase program as well as the audio going into Cubase that I am overdubbing. I guess that solves my problem as I can now overdub onto what I have already recorded. Thanks alot for your quick reply!

ahh, you posted this same time I posted the above reply - glad you got it sorted :D

Back