Cubase FX inserts/sends

zimbo

I'm using Cubase VST.

I can use FX inserts and sends on audio tracks which have already been recorded but I cannot apply FX inserts or sends to individual tracks which have no audio on them.

I'm intending to use Cubase VST as a live mixer for a duo - playing backing tracks + 2 vocal mics and a guitar/bass and I was hoping to add compression/reverb/delay FX to the 2 live vocal tracks but this doesn't seem possible?

Can FX only be added to recorded tracks in Cubase?
OR is there a way round this?

that's pretty weird im pretty sure you're supposed to be able to do that... Which version of cubase are you using?

You would have to put the effects on the input tracks. You will have latency to deal with.

You would have to put the effects on the input tracks. You will have latency to deal with.

I'm using a Behringer Mixer /M-Audio PCI Sound Card for generating the audio signal into Cubase. Are you saying I would have to provide FX via the Mixing desk or soundcard? How can I do this?

It sounds like you are trying to use cubase as an effects unit. It would be much easier to just buy a hardware effects processor. But if you really want to go this route:

In cubase, you should have input channels that get created when you add an input. These are the channels that get routed to the channel you wish to record onto.

These I put channels have inserts and aux sends, just like the normal mixer channels. If you apply effects to the input channels and monitor them, you will hear them in real time as you perform.

This will work fine for delay based effects, but it will suck for things like eq and compression because of the latency. (The time it takes to process the effect and send it to the output)

The latency could easily get into the 40-50 ms range, which will make it really hard to sing.

Thanks for that advice.
Maybe I should consider a Mixing Desk with FX? I've Been looking at the ZED 10 FX.
Do you have any experience of using this mixer?

I've never used one. But those boards all work pretty well for what they are. It would certainly be a much better, easier option than dragging a laptop around as a reverb unit.

Back