Cubase-Firebox-MIDI latency issue

nigeleccleston

My problem – I can’t figure out how to set up my system to record MIDI tracks along with my audio tracks, and have zero latency (from the MIDI controller) in my headphones. I have searched through these forums and tried a few things without success. I do not have any latency issues with overdubbing audio onto my audio tracks.
Setup – Firebox, Cubase LE and M-Audio Radium 49 controller on a Windows XP laptop (2 GHz). Firebox mixer set to have mix sent to phones. Keyboard controller is plugged into the midi of the Firebox.
One symptom that is probably significant – I only hear midi sound when I set the Cubase track MIDI out to Windows GS Wavetable SW Synth (Emulated). If I set it to Presonus FIREBOX MIDI out, I do not hear sound. (Events do record with either choice).
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
P.S. I did search on “emulated ports” as suggested in another post on this board, but I don’t think the symptoms (as described by Steinberg) are quite the same as what I am experiencing.

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe it's delay compensation? My MIDI latency was pretty low until I added an external effect.

So maybe try starting a new project from template w/o any effects and see if it's any better?

just a shot in the dark but try this anyway....

under devices/midi there's a tab that says something to the effect "use system timestamp" is it ticked??? i've had it resolve a problem i had and have recommended it and subsequently fix other's problems.... seems weird to me though i cant think of any situation where to not use it makes sense and yet ya have to turn it on....

I give up

Thanks for the suggestions - I didn't have any effects running, it was a new blank project. I couldn't find the "use system timestamp". I think I probably don't have my system set up properly in the first place. My next step is to find (hire) someone locally (Minneapolis) who can sit down and go through the whole thing in person with me. If you have recommendations I would appreciate hearing them.
For now, I can record my song demos(e.g. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=654123 ) which is all I really need to be able to do.

nigel, unless you're trying to control some external midi hardware, you don't have a need for midi out, which will send midi out of your system via the firebox's midi out connection. I don't know how you have your system setup but it sounds like you need to adjust your audio latency. your keyboard should be connected to the midi IN of your firebox which would be your track input device and the output of your track should be set to a vsti in cubase (not wavetable synth). do you have any vstis setup? it sounds like the reason you aren't getting any sound is because you don't have a vsti setup and selected as the track's output device.

I use the firebox. Make sure you are using the emulated ports on it for your input, and you should be fine. I have 0 issues, and have had this setup for 2 years.

Back