Cubase AI4

Docholiday

Hey all,

Decided to get into the world of recording. I have various guitars and amps and have been playing music for many years now so I'm familiar with some things but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to recording.

I bought a Yamaha Audiogram 6 and it's bundled with Cubase AI4 and I have invested in a t-bone condenser mic. I have the basics down, I'm recording various guitar tracks and getting to grips with the software. Thing is I'm not really sure what to do after this stage.....

I basically would like some hints and tips to get me started. I would like to add effects (distortion-haven't a clue how to add it to my guitar except for micing the amp) and embellish my music, make it sound a little more professional and just give it the edge that it is missing.

I know Cubase is a program that I just have to get to grips with I just need pointing in the right direction

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Sounds like your ready to do some mixing. This is a broad subject.

Have you read any articles, books etc on mixing? If not that's a good place to start. There are tons of resources out there.

For getting distortion on guitar why not get the sound you want from your amp and stomp boxes etc, and mic that. Get the sound you want during tracking.

software distortion virtuals i haven't used but i would guess that the a6 has some built in there like most ai's. old post, but let me know how ur doing with this gear

I think you need to ask some specific questions. There is too much to cover with simple bullet points. :) What is it you are doing at the minute?

As for distortion, I suggest you do it 'outside the box'. For example - set your guitar amp up with the sound you want to record, and record the distorted sound. Cubase's default distortion effects aren't great.

Back